House of the Morningstar: Chapter 2

0 Conversations

House of the Morningstar: Chapter 2

Abstract design with a circuit board, turret, and stars.


Today after breakfast I decided to take a tour to the first settlement museum. There is a small historic train going out of the city to the original site. The carts are tiny and just have a few seats. We were driving past greenhouses outside of the city for a while, then suddenly the landscape opened up around us. You could see the mountains in the distance, but the actual spot of the settlement was pretty flat, with jus a few larger rocks in the desert. They had people dressed up lin historic clothes. I spent all morning exploring the museum. I can't imagine living back then in this cramped 'village'. Bunk beds, tiny rooms, appearantly no privacy. Little bubbles of life in the desert. All of it preserved under a large glass dome. Of course there was a snack bar and a gift shop – I got Kathy a small teddy bear in historic clothes.


As I found the food at the museum too expensive, I had a late lunch back at the city. Then I strolled through a quarter of the city which was recommended by my travel book. I found some very cute and peculiar houses and browsed some arts and crafts shops. I couldn't stop myself from buying a whole set of pottery with an intricate blue pattern, which I will send home immediately. I also got contact details from some tile makers who ship their wares abroad.

Plot divider

The Glass House


When they arrived a tall, stout man with a respectable grey moustache walked down the steps from the glass house. He shook the woman's hand and gave the young man a friendly nod.


'Elanor, Harry, good to see you. We're just about finished here. Please follow me.'


'Good morning, Doctor Nadolski. I hope your wife is feeling better? How are the grandchildren?'


He led them back up into the conservatory. Here the air was quite a bit warmer than outside but just as humid. Three hovering lights were placed under the glass dome and illuminated the scene while a bunch of small camera drones were buzzing through the air. Metal tables were arranged, following the curve of the glass house. The pots and soil scattered on them indicated that the flower pots were originally standing there. The center of the room was a chaos of green fragmented leaves and blue petals, soil and broken flower pots.


In the middle of all this mess lay the reason for this gathering of people: Henry Morgenstern 84 years old, retired pharmacist, former owner of his own company and passionate breeder of orchids was deceased of unnatural causes some time between the night before and this morning. He was wearing striped pyjamas and a fuzzy red morning gown. His shoes were half open. It was obvious that Mr Morgenstern left the house in a hurry. The cause of death seemed hard to miss: he was lying on his back, with a large pair of hedge clippers sticking out of his chest.


'First scans indicate that it was indeed the garden tool which killed him. So no surprise here. There are also further wounds on his forearms,' he pulled back a sleeve to show them the wounds, also revealing a large birthmark on his left lower arm, 'and on the upper body. And we found one of his fingers under a table.'


'So he faced his killer and there was a fight,' Harry remarked.


Doctor Nadolski nodded, 'a very short fight. He didn't stand a chance. The time of death was around 3am this night.'


They returned outside to quite a commotion in the garden: two shouting people in protective suits were chasing the four-handed robot, which seemed to have a bag stuck on its rake. Elanor and Harry watched as they disappeared in the fog.


'That's the new RoboFlux gardener 3k,' Harry explained – because he had an interest in things like these -,'It mows the grass, trims the bushes, rakes the leaves – as you see – even picks fruit and waters the flowers. If I would have the money...'


'Harry, you live in a one-bedroom apartment. Do you want a gardener for your cactus?', Elanor interrupted him.


'Someday I'll have have one, you'll see.'


Elanor patted his back, ' we're the police, not millionaires.'

An ornament.
Post Novella Project 2022/2023 Archive

Tavaron


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A88022748

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more