A Conversation for Deep Thought: Library Anxiety?

Audio books

Post 1

minorvogonpoet

I recently went into the new public library in our town. It's spacious and has plenty of places where you can sit and read.

However, quite a lot of space was taken up by audio books. Audio books? I thought libraries were about reading.


Audio books

Post 2

FWR

Only if you're blessed with sight! One of my friends has a vast collection of audio books, mind you they've kept their paper books from before their sight loss, *just for the feel*, so maybe there is a sentimental need to owning an actual book after all?

My eldest was threatened with her degree being withheld because she owed £3.90 in library fees to her university. After a mad scramble, we discovered it was a computer error!

Another great column DG, regards to Elektra (sorry for the Librarian nonsense!)


Audio books

Post 3

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Elektra likes librarian jokes. smiley - winkeye I bought her a t-shirt once, 'Librarians are novel lovers.' smiley - whistle

Yes - audio books are important for the visually impaired! Not everyone reads Braille, and audio appeals to a broader demographic. I used to listen to them on long car trips. Of course, I'm way too critical about the readers, since I've done it myself on radio and for non-sighted scholars.

I really recommend Open Library: no late return fees (because the loan expires online) and they have audio versions, too, which I forgot to mention.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more