Dwarf Alberta Spruces

2 Conversations

The Dwarf Alberta Spruce is a small, slow-growing evergreen that looks like a soft, cuddly, teddy-bear of an evergreen. It has won popularity for its resilience, while lending "an extremely fine and delicate texture to landscape composition" with its pyramidal, Christmas-tree-like shape. (1)

It will fit well in compact gardens, but also look good in planters, or along driveways. Its maximum height after 30 years will be about 12 or thirteen feet. For guidance in putting it in the best possible spot, you may wish to consult "Principles of Landscape Design." A578568

It should be grown in moist, well-drained soils and located where it can receive full sun. It can tolerate some light shade, and prefers cold winter climates with cool summers.

Put it where it can get good air circulation to help rid the dense foliage of moisture. Leave at least three feet between the spruce and other plants or structures. The hole where you plant it should be twice as wide as the container the tree came in.

Some parts of the U.K. may not have cold enough winters to really suit it, and yet parts of the U.S. that have comparably mild winters seem to suit it fine. There are parts of Florida and Alabama where, with proper care and siting, it can do all right.

Dealing with problems:

1. Winter burn. Plant it on the northeast or east side of a building or in a protected courtyard, so winter winds don't dry out the needles.

2. Spider mites. The tell-tale sign of this is browning needles. Although there are sprays that can be used to control the mites, good results can be had by hosing the trees down periodically with a strong spray of water to wash the mites away. (2)


(1)http://plants.tagawagardens.com/12130017/Plant/290/Dwarf_Alberta_Spruce/

(2) http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/spider-mites-trees-and-shrubs#:~:text=The%20spruce%20spider%20mite%20attacks%20many%20conifers%2C%20especially,mites%20overwinter%20as%20white%2C%20brown%2C%20or%20red%20eggs.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A88008988

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more