The h2g2 Post: 03.08.20

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 3rd August 2020

Look at the Way We Glide

Seagull in Flight by Freewayriding
Look at the way I glide

Caught on the wind's lazy tide...


– Neil Diamond, 'Skybird'


We all wish we could fly these days: get up above it all. Sometimes, the world really is too much with us, the while we are in physical retreat from its more concrete threats. We may not possess the elementary means of locomotion available to the simplest drone (or the batteries), but we do have something at our disposal that may turn out to be even more useful: our imaginations.

This issue's full of imagination: ideas and stories. Art, photography, prose, poetry. Moods and observations. Thoughts to lift those wings. New ways to see the world. Brits, admit it: most of you think seagulls are merely annoying. You don't see them for the wonders they are. Let those of us who live far from the coastlines of the planet explain that when FWR shows us these birds, we stare. To us, they are exotic.
Dreyfus once wrote from Devil's Island that he would see the most glorious birds. Many years later in Brittany he realized they had only been seagulls...

Colin Higgins, Harold and Maude


Come see what we've got for you this week:
Marmalade advert with cross baby from 1920
  • Mysteries in nature: The bug and flower of the week need identifying. See what you know about the sex lives of hummingbirds. Follow Willem on a winter herping trek and be amazed. Take a freeze-frame look at a flying seagull. When you're tired of bugs, flowers, and the usual tree with something weird in it (thanks, Paige!), watch the moon video. Then let Robbie Stamp put you to bed with a good-night poem.
  • Not sleepy yet? Enjoy the weird signs, even when they are ambiguous about the Wirral. The Isle of Wight comes in for scrutiny, too, and turns out to be the woke-est place in the UK, bar none. No need to throw any statues in the Solent.
  • Fictional fun. It's still in the cards, Desideria's still torturing a bicycle thief, and the random rant is randomly ranting and chanting. Cartoons are there to make you laugh, so do that.
  • If you get hungry, Galaxy Babe and FWR will make you want to go for a snack. GB shares her recipe trick.
  • There's a cinema mental health warning and a writing tip, and things to caption and talk about.
Next week, bugs'n'slugs. (Other things, too.) Send us your Stuff! And have a good week!




Mailbox
Write the Post at:
postteamhg-at-gmail-dot-com
Tweet at the Post and Edited Guide:
@h2g2_Guide



Quote of the Week:   Our own strategy was to flood areas to stop an invasion. That would have worked up to the invention of flying.

– Caiman Raptor Elk

Create July 2020 by Freewayriding
August Create Challenge:
Nature Gets a Break



And Now, a Shameless Plug
for our FABULOUS MERCH!
Post logo t-shirt
T-shirts! Buttons! Tote Bags!
TOWELS!!!
No, we don't get all the money. We get about 5 bucks/euros for each t-shirt. But you're supporting the cause and getting wearable bragging rights. You'll be the envy of every hitchhiker from here to the Crab Nebula. Designed by Tavaron da Quirm.


Dmitri Gheorgheni

Mars Boarding Pass

NATURE'S MYSTERIES
Winter Herping
in Venda

Campsite by Willem

h2g2 MYSTERIES

THINGS THAT GIVE US PAUSE

Rise of the Killer Gulls

Thug Seagulls by FWR


NOT BUSINESS AS USUAL




Bake
Birthday Cake by FWR
CONSIDERATIONS

STORIES


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87989116

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more