A Conversation for Writing Right with Dmitri: Less Plot, More Meaning

Powers or handicaps

Post 1

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

Thank you.

I can relate to that.

When we are out walking, son 1 and son 2 tend to play "Fantasy-game".

The problem is, they usually spend so much time bargaining about what elemental superpowers their characters have, they run out of time to get to the actual playing. I tried to explain to them that giving a character a handicap instead takes much more creativity and much less discussion up front. They haven't tried that so far.

I have fond memories of an RPG session where the only thing my character posessed was a wooden bucket and no magic powers whatsoever. As for the bucket, you can turn it over to sit on it, you can use it as a very blunt weapon or a helmet and you can store stuff in it... (not all at once though)


Powers or handicaps

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

That's great thinking! smiley - biggrin

There's one guy online who actually watched every single episode of the long-running gothic soap opera Dark Shadows ( A5169648 ) and blogged about it. I don't know what his brain was like afterwards...

He noticed something about the successful characters: he said they had to make a friend, and help the story in some way.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Writing Right with Dmitri: Less Plot, More Meaning

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more