The h2g2 Post: 06.07.20

1 Conversation

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 6th July 2020

Things to Do While Waiting for the Apocalypse

Rainbow by FWR
Anybody born before 1993 only knows how to… [something destructive, bad, or disapproved of by poster, who is (count on it!) exactly 27 years old.]

Reply on Twitter: At least my generation had the grace to extend the acceptable age to 30.

Are we laughing? Well, we're looking at that with what the old-time Germans used to call 'one laughing and one crying eye'. (Yes, Tav, I've heard people say that. Usually before they give somebody a going-away toast.) It seems that, once again, the world's messed up and it's somebody else's fault.

We won't argue about the messed-up part. The global pandemic didn't cause all of the problems. It just made more of them obvious to more people. Were these problems a long time brewing? Yes, yes, they were. Is it way past time to take a look at them? Oh, yes, indeed, it is. Tell you what: while we're busy not running around in circles, or heading to the beach, hairdresser's, stadium, or pub, why don't we spend some of this enforced downtime thinking? Einstein said it was a hobby of his.

Here are some suggestions about what to do while we're waiting for the apocalypse – or at least, for the virus to go away:
Flower Pot People by SF
  • Take up a hobby. You might learn something. Willem studies extinct creatures, among other wildlife. He'll tell you about the hyaenodon this week. Superfrenchie found all these wonderful pot people in a village in France. We decided it was an interesting public art project. Tavaron took another look at the ancient Romans in her neighbourhood.
  • Appreciate the natural world. Whether it's the slug on Paigetheoracle's glass door, the lightning over the Wirral again, that robin in my backyard, or the wildflowers growing everywhere, we tend to agree with Wordsworth, who thought that taking in nature in this way would lead to 'little, nameless, unremembered, acts of kindness and of love.' We won't guarantee it, but we think well of you if you share your photos.
  • Drink in the weirdness. Voice your thoughts. MMF found a 'wild Covid' in Kew Gardens the other day. Superfrenchie observed spiritual social distancing at church. I found a truly weird speech from 1902 that is relevant to current social media discussions. So it goes.
  • Make music. All God's children got a place in the choir. Bang the spoons. We have musical videos for you: SashaQ brings us a tango, while FWR plays sound guy for a promising new band. Appreciate.
  • Enjoy the Post. We have streaming cinema from our stir-crazy reviewer, a quiz, some stuff to caption, cartoons, comics, and an ongoing story by Reefgirl that has one reviewer exclaiming, 'I am involved!' Part 2 this week.

As always, stay safe, Hitchhikers. Don't trust any Vogons, and be nice to Dentrassis so they'll give you handouts. If you see anything, take a picture and send it to us. Have a good week!




Mailbox
Write the Post at:
postteamhg-at-gmail-dot-com



A Special Plea to Readers and Contributors:

Your Editor cherishes each and every one of you. And welcomes your comments and special requests (such as 'reword my tagline' or 'update that ancient help page'). However, I would ask two boons of you: one, don't send me errata or alteration requests via the site. They might get lost in the shuffle. Instead, send an email to the Post. I see and act on emails.

Two, and please don't take this the wrong way: stop dropping hints. See all this Stuff you're reading? All 27 weekly items, plus Create, plus the Editorial? I did all that. I made the pages, archived them, arranged them, frequently put in all the punctuation, and loaded the pictures.

I'm not saying this to brag, or complain. I'm just pointing out that I can get tunnel vision over A-numbers. If you want me to notice that for weeks now, your alt-text has been wrong, wrong, wrong, or that a Post Editor from 15 years ago left some iffy text in a corner somewhere, please come out and say so. By email. I'll fix it once the penny has dropped.

This goes double for Elektra, who says things like 'There's a problem with FWR's thingy on Pliny.' Grr.

Thank you for your patience.


Create July 2020 by Freewayriding
July Create Challenge:
Public Art:
Its Works and Pomps



And Now, a Shameless Plug
for our FABULOUS MERCH!
Post logo t-shirt
T-shirts! Buttons! Tote Bags!
TOWELS!!!
No, we don't get all the money. We get about 5 bucks/euros for each t-shirt. But you're supporting the cause and getting wearable bragging rights. You'll be the envy of every hitchhiker from here to the Crab Nebula. Designed by Tavaron da Quirm.


Dmitri Gheorgheni

NATURE, SORT OF
Flower Pot People

Flower Pot People by Superfrenchie.

HUMANS AND OTHER CREATURES

SIGHT AND SOUND

Let It Bee

Bee on Flower by FWR


SIGHTINGS




Wild Covid
Wild Covid in Kew Gardens by MMF
PUZZLEMENTS

STORY TIME


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87980214

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more