A Conversation for Amy P's 2019 NaJoPoMo

Amy P's 2019 NaJoPoMo-4

Post 1

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

We'd been telling the girls for months that, come Fall Break, we'd try to go to the beach. All of Notepad's life, and all of PaperKid's memory, we'd lived in a coastal town--from 2012 to 2017 in a house that, as the crow flies, was less than a quarter mile from the ocean (roads made it a mile, thanks to the fact that we were surrounded by dead ends, and there was only one way to get anywhere useful). Not that we went to the beach often, since it was right there, and usually cold (water temperature was about 55F/just under 13C) and windy--but there was still the option. For that matter, this is the farthest I've ever lived from an ocean...

Anyway, Fall Break happened to land during a week that I was due to work Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday. The other rotation had Wednesday and Thursday that week, which would've made it much simpler for planning--ask for the Wednesday and Thursday off, and have Monday-Sunday off! As it was, I asked for the Monday and Tuesday, which gave us the previous Friday to prepare (since the girls had school), a departure early Saturday morning, Sunday-Tuesday to have fun, and traveling home on Wednesday to rest up and do laundry Thursday to get up at 0430 on Friday so I could work 0600-1800. Then I looked at AirBnb (other short term rental websites are available) and saved a bunch of possibilities--we weren't sure if we wanted to see the Atlantic Ocean or the Gulf of Mexico. Our budget and need for 3 bedrooms (as it was Notepad, PaperKid, T (the friend who moved with us from California to Tennessee and is now basically a live-in uncle to the girls), Tom, and I that were going)--and for one bedroom to have a bed suitable for 2 as opposed to bunk beds in every room--narrowed things down rather rapidly. Once we determined that no other adult really cared what our destination was (or, rather, they were content to leave it up to me), and that Notepad just wanted to go *somewhere*, PaperKid and I huddled around the laptop and narrowed the choices down to two. Then I rechecked availability on both properties, and we were down to one. Still not knowing for certain that I wouldn't be switched to the other rotation at the beginning of October, when Fall Break was from Saturday the 12th to Sunday the 20th, and wanting to reserve the place in plenty of time...


Amy P's 2019 NaJoPoMo-4

Post 2

SashaQ - happysad

Wow - that was a logistical exercise! smiley - biggrin


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more