Suzie Q Report: Somewhere in the Middle Ages

1 Conversation

Suzie Q Report: Somewhere in the Middle Ages

Superfrenchie went a-Suzie-Q-ing in the Ardennes recently. Here's what she found in the tiny village of Montcornet, where jubilant re-enacting doth take place.

She writes:

They have a medieval castle (in ruins), and in 2011, a bunch of history enthusiasts started building a "village" to show how the locals lived from the Iron Age to the 15th century. For the past few years, they've had a big weekend a year, showcasing what it will be like when it's complete (due to open in 2020, hopefully).

What are they reenacting? There are huts and tents and houses, all built/made according to the techniques of the different time periods, and the volunteers reenact bits of the daily life:
  • wood and bone carving, wool dying and spinning and weaving, cooking, metal work (that's the Celts/Gauls),
  • oil lamps, a Roman ballista, pottery (that's for the Gallo-Romans).
  • Honestly, we didn't get to see the other time periods, but I think there was a stone carver (medieval style), and medicinal herbs.
  • There are also shows, like the one about fighting gear and techniques, or falcon hunting, or jousting.
  • Oh, and there are also games, like child-sized ballistas and crossbows that the kids can aim at Roman or medieval soldier cut-outs. Great fun!

Personally, we love ballistas and crossbows, but would miss the bright orange pumpkins so essential to medieval North American warfare.

A demonstration of shield action in medieval FranceHow to make a bone comb
General Features Archive

Superfrenchie

01.07.19 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87941280

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more