May 2019 Create Challenge: 42 Steps
It's spring in the northern climes. Time to get out and explore. Leave your firesides and pick up your cameras. Take a few steps: take 42.
- Pick a starting point: a major edifice or other landmark. Or just head out from the train station or bus stop. (We don't advise using your own house, for privacy reasons.)
- Pick a direction.
- Walk 42 steps. Or walk for 42 seconds, or minutes if you're ambitious. Or go 42 yards, furlongs, meters (kilometers, Bluebottle?), or versts.
- Look around.
- Record what you see: in prose, poetry, art, or photography. Let us in on all the big and little surprises. Help us form a picture of the world.
- Or let your experience inspire you to add to the Edited Guide. There's lots of room in there.
- Send the results of your outing to h2g2.
If you like, show us where you were when all this happened by consulting the What3words map. (This is why we don't recommend starting from home. We don't want nefarious spy agencies finding you. We watch out for our Researchers.)
Yeah, we know Douglas Adams picked 42 out of a hat. It's just a number. But hey, everybody has been trying to make it significant ever since. Why shouldn't we? Besides, what better way to find the questions than to use the 'answer' as a chance to go hunting? It's not as if we asked you to look for Starbucks.