Choosing a Road

0 Conversations

Choosing a Road

Sailors, a boat, and an airplane

Your Editor recently posted a link in his Journal. It is a story of a young man trying to understand his Father's abusive childhood. This is a completely different story.

My Mother claimed that we were just like Beaver's family on TV. My father was a salesman and she was a stay-at-home mom. My brother was four years older and my sister arrived eight years after me. This is not to say that everything was perfect; every family has its moments, and ours was no exception.

The main reason I write this is a small part of the link where the protagonist (Charlie) complains that his Father dragged him off to airfields and he sat sulking in the car while his Father talked with the other pilots. When I was that age I loved walking: I still do! When I take my wife to a strange city I have to stop and worry about her before I keep plodding on.

I suppose you are wondering by now what this has to do with the link.

When I was in my early teens we lived within a twenty-minute walk of a small airport (STOL runways – Short Take-Off and Landings) only suitable for small four-passenger planes or so, I soon learned that if I offered my services to help repair or wash a plane I would be given a short ride as a thank you.

A little bit further, in the opposite direction, was the City Marina. Here again, a little labor would be rewarded with either a ride or even the sole use of a boat for an hour or two.

When I turned 14 years old I was offered both a chance to join the Civil Air Patrol (where I could learn to fly planes) or the Sea Scouts (and learn to sail boats). After a few weeks of both, faced with membership and uniform costs, my parents insisted that I choose one or the other.

Like Robert Frost, I sometimes wonder where the other road might have led.

(I warned Dmitri this might get a bit long smiley - biggrin).

General Features Archive

Florida Sailor

01.10.18 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87918844

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more