A Conversation for Writing Right with Dmitri: Writing How

knowledge is power

Post 1

minorvogonpoet

Why do people not give away instructions for making things? Because knowledge is power. Think of priests of any religion you care to name. They made themselves powerful because people thought they were the only ones who knew how to propitiate the gods. I bet the priests were careful not to tell people exactly how their rites went.

These days, people who know how to do things, whether it's doing yoga or making patchwork often charge for their knowledge. When it comes to creative writing, for example, there's a whole industry devoted to teaching the art. It doesn't guarantee that you get published, of course.smiley - laugh



knowledge is power

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - rofl This may be true, but if you sell a tchotchke, it's dirty pool if you charge extra for instructions.


knowledge is power

Post 3

FWR

The second hardest thing I ever did was write a motorcycle training manual.

And the hardest thing....was trying to justify an Entry about motorcycle training in PR, as there is very little (reputable) knowledge shared on line, as most riding schools don't publish the 'instructions' unless you're a paying student!

I rather enjoy writing instructional pieces and reading imported manuals for bits of cheap tech is an hilarious pastime!


knowledge is power

Post 4

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - laugh I agree about the cheap tech - it's funny as long as you aren't in a hurry....

When all else fails, I take it to Hoggetts. Three science teachers, an engineer, and young Nicola Tesla can usually figure it out. They did wonders with that decorative waterfall thingy....

You deserve kudos for writing that in the Guide, btw. smiley - winkeye


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Writing Right with Dmitri: Writing How

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more