A Conversation for Anderson Edwards Tells Us What Slavery Was Like

Interesting

Post 1

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

I enjoyed reading this piece.

Very unfair to not mention slavery is over to your (former) slaves. I guess they deserved the thrashing of the house.


Interesting

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Thanks! And good point.

Gradually, more people in the US are becoming aware of Juneteenth as a day of celebration for human rights.

I want more history students to take advantage of the WPA narratives in the Library of Congress - these personal stories are an amazing resource. smiley - smiley


Interesting

Post 3

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

I agree.

Just checked the details on the Dutch history of slavery. it's not a pretty story, being one of the biggest slave traders in the world. It took 100 years to abolish slavery completely within The Netherlands and its colonies (from 1814 till 1914). Most plantation slaves remained on the plantations, as they were required by law to take a paid contract there, in order to keep the plantations running. (so the only real change would have been the payment)


Interesting

Post 4

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Good point - the problem with long-lasting, miserable crimes against humanity like slavery is that ending them isn't just a matter of finally waking up to the fact that they're wrong. You can't just throw a party and walk away from the damage.

Institutions need changing. Survivors need help. The future needs educating.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Anderson Edwards Tells Us What Slavery Was Like

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more