A Conversation for MVP's NaJoPoMo - A is for Avocado

A is for Acting

Post 1

minorvogonpoet

I started acting at school. The English teacher held auditions for parts in Shaw's 'Caesar and Cleopatra'. All the parts had to be played by girls. I auditioned and got the part of Theodatus, an old pedant. My entry was dramatic, because I had to run up onto the stage crying 'The Library of Alexandria is in flames!' The rehearsals were funny because the Deputy Head, who was rather strict, was trying to teach the Roman army to march. These were girls who were normally fashion conscious, so they wore their skirts as short as rules would allow, and pointed toed shoes.

After that, I was hooked. Later on, when I got a job with the Department of the Environment in Westminster, I joined the amateur dramatics group. I remember taking part in in 'Separate Tables' by Terence Rattigan but, perhaps my clearest memory is of painting scenrey. We had a room for costumes and props in a room in the basement . It was a sinister place: miles of deserted corridors, with mysterious pipes running along them. There were persistent rumours of a network of tunnels running all over Whitehall. I also took part in acting competitions between the drama societies of different government departments. These took place in the Civil Service theatre, in an old office block in Northumberland Avenue. So I could, if I liked, claim to have appeared on the West End stage!


A is for Acting

Post 2

cactuscafe

heheh I'd have liked to have seen that dramatic entry. smiley - rofl

Great descriptions of those corridors.

So, yes, you've been on a stage in the West End!

Do you still love acting?

Is there scope for your acting where you live? Like, a theatre group?


A is for Acting

Post 3

minorvogonpoet

I haven't done any for ages, but our son has taken it up.smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more