A Conversation for MVP's NaJoPoMo - A is for Avocado

Z is for Zadie Smith

Post 1

minorvogonpoet

When I last went into a bookshop, I came out with Zadie Smith’s novel Swing Time’, because I’d seen it recommended. I can see why.

The story follows two brown girls from Willesden, who discover they share a love of music and dance. However, whilst Tracey goes to dance school, the narrator follows a different path and eventually becomes personal assistant to a white American pop star. Whereas the friendship between the two girls is real, the pop star’s relationship to the narrator is closer to exploitation.

What makes the novel stand out is Zadie Smith’s ability to deal with issues of race, class and gender without resorting to stereotypes or generalisations. For example, the narrator's mother regards themselves as a cut above Tracey's family. Tracey comments that the narrator is unusual, because her mother is black and her father white, while her family is the other way round.

The novel moves from London to New York and West Africa and contains a whole host of characters, who are all developed with subtlety. It reflects the contradictions and fine gradations of society and does so with humour.


Z is for Zadie Smith

Post 2

cactuscafe

I've so often heard people say they love Zadie Smith's books!

How many books do you a read a month, mvp? Like, on average?


Z is for Zadie Smith

Post 3

minorvogonpoet

I just read in the Guardian that a lot of readers don't finish 'Swing Time'! I suppose it isn't a page turner. Some reviews described it as 'hilarious', but I only found it made me smile occasionally

How many books do I read a month? 3 or 4 perhaps - but I'm curently reading h2g2s 'Space and Space Travel vol 1.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more