A Conversation for Join the Q: On the Telephone

Ahoy-Hoy

Post 1

Bluebottle

I hope the book contained the official telephone greeting.

What I find these days is that increasingly, people don't answer their phones if they don't recognise the number calling. I often have to phone students, but I'd say only a third of students ever answer their phones, even though they carry mobiles with them everywhere. I know that at home I don't answer the phone if someone I don't know is calling and screen calls, listening in to what message they're leaving to decide whether to pick the phone up or not. I also tend to assume that anyone claiming to be calling from a company that I wasn't expecting a call from is lying and attempting to commit fraud.

<BB<


Ahoy-Hoy

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

I just got a call from some young woman who started nattering about my 'vehicle warranty', vehicle not specified...she wouldn't be interrupted, just kept talking...so I said, 'not interested', didn't wait for her to answer, hung up, and added the number to the blocked list.

These robo-dialled calls contribute to the decline of telephone courtesy. They're taught to keep talking, no matter what you say. smiley - grr


Ahoy-Hoy

Post 3

SashaQ - happysad

Ahoy-Hoy

Sadly, the original greeting wasn't included in the book - 'Hello' seemed to suffice, although 'Good morning/afternoon' was recommended as a longer phrase that helps people to 'tune in'...

"I also tend to assume that anyone claiming to be calling from a company that I wasn't expecting a call from is lying and attempting to commit fraud."

Yeah - I think that is a sound attitude to have... Sometimes they sound very plausible, like one recently who told me details about my television - when the person then asked me to confirm my identity, I became rather suspicious and ended the call...

Robo dialled calls are a nuisance indeed - I kind of know what to expect when there is a call at a random time, then I pick it up and there's no sound for a few seconds, but I answer anyway and wait for someone to speak just in case... I feel a bit rude putting the phone down, but when they start reading from the script and you can't get a word in edgeways there's no other option...


Ahoy-Hoy

Post 4

Bluebottle

It's a shame people don't open with 'Ahoy-hoy' as I think it would make the person the other end more likely to listen if they're getting an unexpected start to the conversation. Or they're more likely to hang up sooner.
I don't feel any guilt about hanging up on unexpected phone calls on the grounds that if there's a fair chance whoever is phoning is actually attempting to commit fraud, I don't have to uphold the social niceties.
It's not as if call centres haven't hung up on me when I've tried to phone them.

<BB<


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Join the Q: On the Telephone

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more