October 2017 Create Challenge

1 Conversation

Create October 2017 Challenge: Be a Kid Again

A joyful child
Backward, turn backward, O Time, in your flight,

Make me a child again just for tonight!


Elizabeth Akers Allen, 'Rock Me to Sleep'

Have you ever felt like that? Somehow, the changing seasons bring on that kind of nostalgia – a sudden flood of memories from when you were younger. Food tasted better back then, jokes made you laugh harder, and a treat was more 'special'.

Stories were better, too. Remember all those books you liked?

The Hallowe'en month is a good one for this challenge. Here's what we want you to do, children: listen carefully to the instructions before we pass out the construction paper and safety scissors.

We want you to write like your kid self. Pretend you're twelve.

Now write:

  • An imaginative story.
  • A description of something you enjoy doing.
  • An account of a trip you've taken, or something exciting you've seen.

Or send us a picture:

  • Something you drew.
  • A photo you took.
  • A picture you dug out of your personal archives. Tell us about it.

Warning: Here's the one thing you can't do: Don't write about your favourite book or tv show or movie. We don't want to know. And no pics of DVD covers, please! We're not into consumerism here. We will return these things, politely. We want you, not anybody else.

For extra credit, you may get a real, actual Kid to do the writing or artwork for you. Submit it with a cover name for the Kid in question, to preserve anonymity. Just tell them how much the 'old people' will like their Stuff.

If you're really ambitious, and want to do a Guide Entry, how about chasing down some child prodigies to write about? Something cool Baby Mozart got up to? Scientific children? Or people and organisations who helped kids? We know you can think of something.

The Create Team believe that participation in this challenge will make your jack-o-lantern carving more fun this year, and your cider taste better.

Create


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87895543

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more