Summer Memory: A Child's Bastille Day in France

1 Conversation

A memorable summer event.

A Child's Bastille Day in France

Fireworks and the Eiffel Tower.

I grew up in a tiny village.

For Bastille Day, there would always be games for the kids, and a big barbecue for the whole village, organised either by the football club or by the hunters' association.

And the night before, there would be a lantern parade through the streets with music playing, followed by the fireworks show.

The one that stands out, and that has over the years received family legend status, happened when I was about 6.

Picture this :

July 13th, 10pm, night falling, time for the parade.

Don't rain on my parade, you could say.

Except it does.

A lot.

It's pouring and pouring and not looking like it's going to stop any time soon.

There are 20, maybe 30 kids, paper lanterns at the ready, and looking forward to marching.

So the parade takes place.

Inside the village hall.

Close your eyes and look at it: 30 kids, 50-odd adults, walking around the main room of the village hall for half an hour, with their paper lanterns on sticks.

Of course, the kids were having fun. They were waving their sticks around, with the lit lanterns attached.

Until what was bound to happen, happened.

One of the kids waved her stick too hard. (wasn't me, promise!)

The lantern caught fire, fell to the ground, and had to be trampled off.

What a night!

Almost 30 years on, still fondly remembered.

Create Archive

Superfrenchie

31.07.17 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87892302

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more