A Conversation for Written in Black and Wight: F - Answers

Enlightening

Post 1

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

I learned some history there. You know, around 1830 is when the US gave most (free, white) men the vote. Which did us no good at all: we got one A. Jackson as president. You know, the one they compare the current one to?

Anyway, I got all the matching, but only two of the others. smiley - rofl


Enlightening

Post 2

Bluebottle

Most men in Britain got the vote in 1884, following the Representation of the People Act and Redistribution of Seats Act, which increased the number of male voters to about 60%. It was not until the 1918 Representation of the People Act that all British men over 21 and women over 30 were allowed to vote (and stand for Parliament). Women over 21 were allowed to get the vote in the UK in 1928 (the delay of ten years to women having the same age of voting as men was because there were far more women in society following the Great War).

I thought I'd made them easier this week too. smiley - smiley

<BB<


Enlightening

Post 3

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - laugh We'll see once we get some more returns. smiley - winkeye


Enlightening

Post 4

SashaQ - happysad

Yes, I did well on this one - some good alternative clues in there, but I managed to deduce most of the correct answers. Forest House pudden took me in, though, as I did the G quiz first...

Particularly fascinating about pangs of hunger being leer (empty in German).


Enlightening

Post 5

Bluebottle

If I was a cunning linguist I'd be interested in studying the similarities in dialect between the Isle of Wight and Kent, as they were the two areas settled by Jutes rather than Angles or Saxons. Probably a couple of centuries too late, though...

<BB<


Enlightening

Post 6

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

'You tolkatiff scowegian? Nn. You spigotty anglease? Nnn. You phonio saxo? Nnnn. Clear all so! 'Tis a Jute.' - James Joyce, Finnegans Wake

smiley - nur


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Written in Black and Wight: F - Answers

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more