h2g2 Literary Corner: Summer Temperance Drinks for Brits

0 Conversations

What do teetotallers drink? The answers may surprise you!

Summer Temperance Drinks for Brits

A temperance poster that says, 'Dethrone King Alcohol!'

Editor's Note:The following is taken from Recipes for Temperance Drinks for Winter and Summer, published in 1914 (obviously a later edition of a popular work) by the National British Women's Temperance Association. Bradford District Union. It's an eye-opener: who knew that the British liked to put alcohol in everything? We were surprised, but then, we had a sheltered upbringing. Anyway, we thought you might enjoy the recipes in the hot weather.

If anybody tries these, let us know. And remember: the h2g2 Post does not take responsibility for the consequences of improper food handling or clumsy lemon squeezing. WARNING: Too much sugar may be bad for your health. ANOTHER WARNING: Be careful when working with raw eggs. Remember: these people did not have refrigerators, and were used to living dangerously. Which is why, come to think of it, people who put alcohol in their drinks were less likely to die of bacterial poisoning. . . Oh, heck. Just read it.

Preface

In bringing out this Booklet in connection with their Exhibit at the Cartwright Memorial Exhibition, the Members of the Branches of the Bradford District Union of the National British Women's Temperance Association think it will supply a long-felt want amongst Temperance people. They are often asked by new members, or those who are not abstainers, 'What do you drink, it cannot always be water?' Now, whilst it is almost impossible to over-rate the advantages of pure water1, hot or cold, taken internally2, or applied externally, they recognise that many people like a drink with a taste in it3, so they have compiled this collection of well-tried recipes, being confident that wholesome and harmless beverages may be provided at small cost and with little trouble.

The common use of Alcohol in the preparation of Trifles. Creams, and other Sweets, is felt to be a grave danger to the young4; and, therefore, in the hope of discouraging this practice, some excellent substitutes are recommended. There also will be found, for cases of emergency, some valuable recipes, and other useful remedies.

Bradford, May 1904.

Lemon Water Ice

Rub the rind of six lemons upon twelve large lumps of sugar, squeeze over them the strained juice, add half a pint of water5 and a pint of syrup, made by boiling threequarters of a pound lump sugar in threequarters of a pint of water until the sugar is dissolved. Put all together into a jug for an hour or two, then mix, strain, and freeze, in the usual way. Serve in glasses. The ice will be much improved if, when it is beginning to set, the whites of three eggs, beaten to a firm froth and
mixed with 6-oz. fine sugar, are stirred into it. The preparation should be left in the ice till wanted.

Lemon Whey

Put half a pint of milk into a saucepan, when it boils pour in a tablespoonful of lemon juice; add more if this does not effectually turn the milk. Let it boil up, then put it into a basin to settle6; strain and sweeten, and add a little hot water if the whey is too acid to be agreeable. This whey is excellent for inducing perspiration7.

Boston Cream

Put 1-lb. loaf sugar, 1-oz. tartaric acid, and the white of an egg, well beaten, into a jug. pour on one quart of boiling water, stirring briskly until it is thoroughly mixed. When required for use, put one wineglassful8 into half a tumbler of water, and stir in a small half teaspoonful of carbonate soda.

Raspberry Acid9

2 1/2 oz. of tartaric acid dissolved in one quart cold water, poured upon six quarts raspberries which have been previously crushed with a silver or wooden spoon, let it remain twenty-four hours, strain, and to each pint of juice add 1 1/2 lbs. fine white sugar, let it stand three days in a cool place, stirring frequently, and skimming any froth off the last day; bottle, and keep in a cool place. It will keep two years10.

The Literary Corner Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

24.07.17 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1A sentiment heartily endorsed by the bottled water companies.2Really? You can take water internally? Alert Prof Animal Chaos of this news.3Other than chlorine.4Do we really need alcoholic milkshakes?5Obviously, these people were not metric.6If it doesn't settle, call a lawyer.7This is a good thing?8Which you don't need for anything else, now that you've taken the Pledge.9They said these recipes contained no alcohol, but they might appeal to the banana-smoking crowd.10So maybe the 'cool place' could be your fallout shelter?

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87892041

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more