July 2017 Create Challenge: Summer Memories
Summer: we do things differently then. The weather is (usually) cooperative: we want to swim, have picnics, enjoy our gardens, watch the wildlife. School's out: there are beaches to invade, books to read under our sun umbrellas, relatives to go and see. We break out the Irish-strength suntan lotion, and don our shorts and unfortunately-messaged t-shirts.
Summer is when memories are made. As Wordsworth said,
While here I stand, not only with the sense
Of present pleasure, but with pleasing thoughts
That in this moment there is life and food
For future years.
What has summer given you of 'food for future years'? Can you. . .
- Share a memorable summer day?
- Describe your favourite summer activity?
- Let us in on the secret to a prime summer destination?
- Tell us about something people do in your part of the world during summer? What's the history behind it? Where could we go to experience it and learn more?
- Summon up a life-changing summer moment?
Southern Hemisphere dwellers: this challenge may be a little more challenging for you, depending on how the winter weather is treating you. But as you sit by your fire, try to recall those 'lazy, hazy days' a few months ago. And what you were doing then.
Where will the summer wind blow you? Take us along!