A Conversation for Writing Right with Dmitri: When the Story Gets Out of Control

Outlines

Post 1

Vip

I do remember writing my dissertation that way; outline, bullet points, paragraphs, then finally fleshing it all out by the end.

These days when I do write creatively it only tends to be very short stories of a single scene (maybe only a couple of hundred words?) but even then, having an idea of what's important and where things should start and finish tends to make for a better story.

My most recent little story was very difficult, because I was narrating what happened at a Dungeons and Dragons session. All the plot and combat seemed perfectly well balanced while we were playing, but turning out into prose after the event was a challenge (which I don't think I rose to but hey, practice is the key, right?).

I'm not sure where I'm going with this post now... I should have written an outline. smiley - winkeye

smiley - fairy


Outlines

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - snork Brilliant! One might almost think you planned that...smiley - winkeye

That's a good point about practice being the key - I think that's one reason we use all this virtual scrap paper around here, and bounce off each other. smiley - ok


Outlines

Post 3

Awix

Never used to outline. Learned the hard way that was bad. Now I work out the structure in advance, if my intention is to write something lengthy (more than, oh, I don't know, 15,000 words). (There's a good free project management tool called Trello which I find useful for heavy plotting/structuring.) Have just started experimenting with writing a treatment before doing the plot in detail.


Outlines

Post 4

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

What a good idea, using Trello for that - the Guide Editors use it, too. smiley - smiley Thanks for the tip!


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Writing Right with Dmitri: When the Story Gets Out of Control

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more