A Conversation for h2g2 Caption Challenge: What Fresh Madness Is This?

Watercress Festival

Post 1

Icy North

Not only does Alresford have a watercress festival, but it's a terminus on a preserved steam railway, known as The Watercress Line. Bluebottle has written about it for the guide here:

A87839310

Taking the steam railway to Alresford then enjoying the festival is a really nice day out.

The festival itself takes over the whole town, with live music, cookery demonstrations (guess the key ingredient), and of course the World Watercress Eating Championship. Anyone can volunteer to eat two bags of watercress in the quickest time - the record is a couple of minutes. When I went, a guy sitting next to me volunteered, walked up to the stage and a few minutes later was pronounced a world champion. A trickier task would be to then persuade the wife and kids of the fact when you got home.


Watercress Festival

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - rofl Sounds wonderful. But a watercress eating contest would never catch on here - that is far too healthy.


Watercress Festival

Post 3

Bluebottle

I just had a ham and watercress sandwich for nammet, I did.

<BB<


Watercress Festival

Post 4

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

I like watercress, but you never find it here. My Vietnamese students used to plant it in their backyards.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for h2g2 Caption Challenge: What Fresh Madness Is This?

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more