Under Sail

0 Conversations

Under Sail

Dinghy sailing into the sun.

This month's create challenge is 'What makes you feel free'?

For me it is when I am on a sail boat, with the sails hoisted, and the moment I kill the engine. Soon I will be out of range of the cell phone, or I can just switch it off – who will know? Unless you are on the 'most wanted' list, smuggling drugs or doing something incredibly unsafe, the odds of being stopped by the authorities are almost nil.

You are almost unlimited for time, except for the food and water aboard. Well beer and cigarettes might also be a consideration.

When you are under power the fuel supply always limits your freedom, where is the next fuel dock you will need to visit?

Under sail your only concern is the weather. You might need to reduce (reef) the sails if a storm approaches – or even furl them (letting them down and tying them to the boat).

You can visit other cities and towns, most marinas have a 'transient pier' where you can tie up for so much a night. Electric power is usually available and you will meet a new circle of friends, or sometimes reunite with old friends who either live there, or have been cruising in the same area.

There is no freedom like being at sea!

Create Challenge Archive

Florida Sailor

20.06.16 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87873844

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more