A Conversation for Writing Right with Dmitri: Dodgy Sources and Temporal Provincialism

Social and political history

Post 1

minorvogonpoet

Yes, for social history, the nearer you can get to the voices of the people of the time, the more authentic. (There's a Mass Observation Archive of the ordinary lives of people in Britain -http://www.massobs.org.uk/)
But, when it comes to political history, aren't contemporary sources like to be biased? For example, General de Gaulle saw the French resistance as a force of French men of military background. But a recent book I've been reading, 'Fighters in the Shadows' by Robert Gildea, shows the truth as much more complicated. Many of the resistance members weren't French. They included Spanish Communists and Polish Jews for example. And many of them were women; maybe not fighting but acting as couriers and hiding Jewish children.
But all this means that, if you wanted to write a decent historical novel, you'd need to do a lot of good quality research.smiley - erm


Social and political history

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Oh, I'm with you - but you also have to be careful with reassessments. Check and double-check their statements.

Why? Beside sloppiness, there's fashion. If it's currently the fashion to see it a new way, you may find yourself with information that's just as biased as the contemporary view.

Okay, we do not now believe that Napoleon was the Antichrist mentioned in the Book of Revelation. But what other ideas have crept in since 1815? You know what I mean. smiley - winkeye


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Writing Right with Dmitri: Dodgy Sources and Temporal Provincialism

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more