April Create: What Were They Thinking?

1 Conversation

Over at Uncle John's farmhouse, a man told a story he'd heard about somebody in the county. Seems he'd gone off to fight in the War Between the States (1860s), and when he came home, his wife had thought he was dead and married another man. Apparently, so the story went, the two husbands sat down for a confab in the parlour. Afterwards, the 'old' husband went away with a new shotgun, and the 'new' husband kept the wife...

There was silence in the room.

On the way home, the man's wife berated him. 'Why did you tell that story? That was Uncle John's grandfather!'

Let's face it: our ancestors were weird. They wore funny clothes, talked funny (and possibly in foreign tongues), they did outrageous things we would scoff at if they were invented by a Hollywood writer...so why not mine them for anecdotes?

An 'ancestor' is anybody you're related to: this includes odd grandparents. Or you might just think you're related to them. Or maybe, possibly, could be related to them...go wild. We won't check up on your research.

Did your ancestors:

  • ...go west (or east, or north, or south)?
  • ...fight against oppression? Or run from it, lickety-split?
  • ...elope with the love of their lives?
  • ...experience excitement, adventure, really wild things?
  • ...do something really funny?

Tell, tell. We're dying to know. That's the least they owe us for leaving us all those stuffy sepia photos and dust-collecting knickknacks.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87869984

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more