The h2g2 Post 22.02.16

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 22nd February 2016

Things to Do While You're Waiting for Spring

Lola the Doglet in the morning. See that face? That's exactly what I saw when I opened my eyes the other morning. It really made me want to get up. No, it didn't. It made me want to dive back under the covers. But I didn't. I got up and went to work in the next room. (I am cursed with the Scots Irish work ethic, which is like the WASP work ethic on steroids.) But Lola's got a point.

It's been too cold to go out. You might as well get comfortable and dream of spring.

Everybody's been complaining: the Canadians are telling us it's cold up there. Paulh says never mind that, it's ridiculous in Massachusetts and he's tired of shoveling snow. The Prof says the wind's trying to blow Yorkshire into the Pennines, and he's had a bait of that. Down in South Africa, Willem chuckles and lets us know they've had some rain. To each a share of nature's hissy fits. Me, I'd like to give the Ground Hog a piece of my mind, but frankly, it's too cold outside to go and look for him under all that snow. The kind neighbour's been around with his snowblower, so I'm staying inside.

So what should we be doing? Reading, commenting, and writing, of course.

In this issue, there's lots of fun coming your way. Charlotte's back, and don't we love her? This week, the lady from Eastleigh tells us all about the doings of the village choir. It's sort of like the Vicar of Dibley in period dress. You'll like it. Over in the writing column, I explain how you can use Charlotte as a role model. See? You're to the good with the issue already, and I haven't even got to the exciting parts.

Willem has a beautiful and inspirational dove. Awix is watching a film about monkeys, and there aren't even any zombies in this one. Galaxy Babe's got a loo. Yeah, yeah, loos may not be beautiful or inspirational, but they certainly come in handy. And this one's in space, so that makes it Science, and cool. Help us caption that photo – and send me some more photos, it's too cold to go photo hunting here.

Speaking of things in space, the cubesat madness is getting out of hand. Some UFO hunters who accuse NASA of turning off the cameras whenever the little green men come around have invested in the shoebox-sized moonlets to deploy in their own search for the truth that's Out There. We suspect they're going to be disappointed: flying debris isn't all that thrilling. But hey, we'll bookmark their channel. Nigel and the G'plex aliens have their own take on it, as usual.

While we're waiting for more Create Challenge stuff to come in, we're bringing you an entry from the recent 'greatest hits' challenge. There's a raft of good Stuff in this website's archives, and we're out to prove it. This week, FWR shares the most amazing short story. And he didn't write it! No, his daughter wrote it – at the age of ten. We are agog. If you haven't written a Guide Entry recently, be ashamed. Be very ashamed. This young lady's so good, we can't wait until she starts working for us. There will be more 'greatest hits' coming up – and if you've got some, share 'em. That's how it works.

So snuggle up, get close to literature, and be of good cheer: spring has to come, sooner or later. Enjoy your week!


Dmitri Gheorgheni

THINGS THAT FLY
  • Red-Eyed Dove by Willem.
  • Space loo by Galaxy Babe.

TIME TO...

CUBES AND HYPERCUBES

  • Rubik's Cubesat.
  • Hypercube cufflinks. For people who get dressed in the fourth spatial dimension.

THINK ABOUT IT

WRITE IT AND REVIEW IT
  • Create February Challenge.
  • A moon with a view.
FEEDBACK, SUBMISSIONS AND DISCUSSION


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87866347

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more