How to fold a Hammock

0 Conversations


This is about how to make a hammock from scratch. No fabric or other shop or factory acquired materials have to be used.


We Need Some Rope


Rope, cord, string, thread or twine of body length times fifty.

We will start with grass. The most easy way to create a twine is interweaving strands of grass. Before you use the grass bend it over a medium sharp edge, this will prevent breaking while you weave it. Try to keep each thread at least three strands thick. Add another to keep up before you are out of strand. The woven twine should be most often ten strands thick. This will also work with most reeds, even bamboo though it may be necessary to soak it in water before weaving.

Willow twigs are a little more elaborative. First is to strip the leaves off, take the twine at the end and swipe to the stem. Before we bend them they have to be slightly bruised. They would snap if you bend them directly. Use fresh, not dried out twigs. After carefully bending them and making them easy to twist, rince the strands in water. Now we can weave these into a twine. Only one or two strands for each thread should be sufficient.

This will also work for blackberry or bramble twines only these will have the nasty prickles to be removed first. Rubbing the twine over a stone will probably be sufficient.

This kind of process can be done with many kinds of natural plant fibres. Very popular are also hemp and flax, herbs where the strands are left rotting in shallow water for some time. Miraculously the fibres survive the decay of the process and are very popular as they will survive several years of moist use.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87858355

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more