The h2g2 Critique: Walt Whitman Refuses to Use the Internet

1 Conversation

The varied carols we hear…but do not believe…

Walt Whitman Refuses to Use the Internet1

Walt Whitman posing with butterfly.
Shut not your doors to me proud libraries2,
For that which was lacking on all your well-fill'd shelves, yet
needed most, I bring3,
Forth from the war emerging, a book I have made4,
The words of my book nothing, the drift of it every thing5
A book separate, not link'd with the rest6 nor felt by the intellect7,
But you ye untold latencies8 will thrill to every page9.
The Literary Corner Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

18.05.15 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1He preferred writing on leaves of grass. Rather like the ancient Egyptians, we imagine.2Have you taken up your complaint with Mr Carnegie, Mr Whitman? All you need is a library card. Proof of residency in Camden required, and a note from your clergyman.3Dust cleaner?4With any other author but you and William Blake, we would point out pedantically that you don't do your own typesetting. But wait, you do…5Yeah, we get that feeling. Like when you go on about 'athletic Democracy', we get the idea, but wish you had said it differently. The same goes for 'O latent right of insurrection!'6Well, now it is, so there. And you can't do anything about it. Look up 'Public Domain' on Google.7We sort of guessed that, too. The intellect is not what hurts when we read this. The young fellow hosing corn…' How do you hose corn, anyway? Do we want to know?8There are those latencies again. Are they like footnotes? If so, we have untold latencies. No, wait. Ours have numbers, so they're 'told latencies'. You win.9Will the word 'thrill' get through the filther? Yes, it will. Boy, those internet censors are clueless. That was a naughty word back then.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87853855

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more