The h2g2 Post 29.06.15

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 29th June 2015

Moon Gazing and Other Pursuits

Full moon. Do you love to gaze/howl at the full moon? You'll get two chances in July: there's a blue moon this coming month. Galaxy Babe's got the skinny on all the sidereal doings, including Earth's investigation of Pluto. We think she still hasn't forgiven the scientists for downgrading Pluto to a dwarf planet. Pluto has an eccentric orbit, which makes it definitely the sort of heavenly object the Post likes. Read up on the stars in this issue, and mark the important events on your calendar.

Speaking of important events…this week, we mark the end of Create's month-long investigation into science fiction vs RL, and move on to July's topic: The road not taken. Beginning on 1 July, you'll be invited to share your own or others' contingency moments: those times when it could have gone either way. Were you almost a rock star? What if Pluto had made a different career choice? You get the idea.

This week, our contributors bring you lots to wonder at and chuckle over. Awix tells us about the latest Sherlock Holmes adventure, while Willem looks around outside. Since Willem lives in a rich wildlife area, we're always sure of a treat, and this time, we have a fascinating small creature and a very tall and stately plant.

Cactuscafe takes a unique look at what was buzzing around her place, and the 42 Words crowd has ideas buzzing in their heads. We've also got some vintage scifi for you, and some equally vintage RL horror that reminds us of the ways in which science doesn't improve our lives. Alas.

We hope you enjoy our tales and visions. We also hope you'll be inspired by the new challenge. Drop by and say hello to our contributors when you have a moment. And enjoy your week!


Dmitri Gheorgheni

THE HERO AND THE LADY
  • Hero shrew by Willem.
  • Carpenter bee visiting White Lady.


THE RATINGS GAME

AIRBORNE MENACE

  • Aldwych tube station as a bomb shelter.
  • Insecty insect by Cactuscafe.

BOLD ADVENTURERS

WRITING AWAY
  • Create
  • See this space for challenges.

  • Digital cameras.
FEEDBACK, SUBMISSIONS AND DISCUSSION


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87852306

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more