Sailing Ship Designations

0 Conversations

Sailing Ships:
Introduction
A Condensed History |
Terminology |
How Tall Ships are Sailed
Designations |
Books and Literature |
Visit and Sail


As previously mentioned in other Entries, a true ship must have three or more masts - all square rigged. There are many other arrangements of sails, each with its own name. The types of ships1 listed here will primarily be limited to those that still exist, although a few extinct rigs will be included for completeness. No ships built prior to the late 18th century will be included.

Single Mast


In most cases a single mast can not provide enough sail area to power a large ship. Large cutters are probably the only exception. A few of the small boat rigs will be included here as they are often carried by ships as tenders

  • Catboat

    Probably the simplest fore and aft rig. The mast is mounted in the very front of the boat, with a single sail behind it. The sail may be a triangular Bermuda sail or a gaff rig. Gaff sails may also carry a gaff top sail on larger boats.
  • Sloop

    The sloop's mast is mounted a bit further back, allowing a small jib sail to be added in front of the mast. In many 19th century sources these are referred to as 'sloop boats' to differentiate them from 'sloops of war' see the section about war ships below. Either a triangular Bermuda sail or a gaff rig may be used. Gaff sails may also carry a gaff top sail on larger boats.
  • Lug Rig

    The lug sail is similar to the gaff sail, except that the top is attached to an angled yard that (along with the sail) extends forward of the mast. A 'dipping lug' is moved to each side of the mast as the boat turns through the wind, with a 'standing lug' the yard and sail always remain on the same side - no matter which side the wind is blowing from.
  • Cutter

    Similar to the sloop boat, a cutter's mast is placed much further back, sometimes almost back to the centreline. This allows a stay sail to be added in front of the mast along with the jib.

    Some large cutters also carry square sails across their mast.
  • Two Masts


    Again the first two examples apply primarily to small boats.

  • Yawl

    A small boat rig with a small mizzen mast mounted behind the rudder, or at least the steering station.
  • Ketch

    Again the rear mast is shorter than the front mast, but is mounted in front of the rudder post. The 'bomb ketch' is a far different rig - see the 'War Ships' Section.
  • Stay Sail Schooner

    The rear mast is at least as tall as the front mast, often higher. All the sails between the two masts are supported only by stays.
  • Schooner

    Two mast of equal height, or the rear mast higher.
  • Topsail Schooner

    Similar to the Schooner, but also carrying square sails on the front mast.
  • Hermaphrodite Brig, or Brigantine in the UK.

    The front mast carries only square sails, but stay sals are carried between the masts.
  • Brigantine (in the US and Canada)

    A Brig that does not carry a main course sail.
  • Brig

    A ship with two masts, the rear at leat as high as the front, both fully square rigged.
  • Three or More Masts


    Most large sailing vessels carried three or more masts. They are lumped together here because in many cases the same name applies to ships with different numbers of masts.

  • Schooner

    Similar to the two masted schooner, the number of masts ranged from three to seven, Only one schooner, the Thomas W Lawson carried seven masts. in her short career (1902 - 1907) there were several systems of naming her masts. One even included naming the front mast Sunday, and going through the days of the week the rear mast was Saturday.
  • Barquentine (Barkentine in US and Canada)

    A ship with 3 or more masts, only square rigged on the front mast. all the rest carrying only fore and aft sails.
  • Barque (usually Bark in US and Canada)

    All the masts are square rigged, except for the rearmost which carries only fore and aft sails.
  • Ship

    A true ship must have three, or more, masts - all carrying square sails.
  • War Ships


    The navies have always had a special designation for their ships. While this usually coincided with the private ships, sometimes there were difrences.

  • Cutter

    A single mast, square rigged, with a large fore and aft sail on the rear side. carrying 10 to 12 cannons and was popular with the British Revenue Service.
  • Topsail Schooner

    Similar to the civilian ship of the same name they carried about 12 cannons and were commonly used by the US Revenue Service.
  • Brig

    The same rigging as the Civilian ship, usually mounting 18 cannons.
  • Bomb Ketch

    The ship without a foremast. This was a very specialized vessel that was armed with two large cauldron shaped mortars mounted near the front. The first mast was shifted far enough aft the make room for these weapons and a shorter mast mounted behind. Both masts carried square sails. The 'bombs bursting in air' from the US national anthem were almost certainly fired from bomb ketches.
  • Sloop of War or, Corvette

    A ship with all her cannons on a single deck. Technically all of the ships listed above could be classified as 'sloops', but as they each have their own designation this term is usually reserved for a full rigged (three masts, all square rigged) ship with all her guns on a single deck. They usually carried between 22 to 28 cannons.
  • Frigate

    A ship with all her guns on two decks, Most mounted between 36 to 44 cannons.
  • Ship of the Line

    A ship mounting guns on three or more decks. Also known as a 'Line of Battle Ship' these huge ships are the fore-bearers of the modern battleship. Most mounted at least 74 cannons and many carried well over a hundred guns.

  • Some specialized rigs, such as the Dhow, Junk and Polynesian Proas have been omitted from this list as each have their own unique features.

    1For the purpose of the Entry we will use the generic name 'ship' for all large sailing vessels.

    Bookmark on your Personal Space


    Conversations About This Entry

    There are no Conversations for this Entry

    Entry

    A87850425

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Read a random Edited Entry


    Disclaimer

    h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

    Write an Entry

    "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

    Write an entry
    Read more