A Conversation for Writing Right with Dmitri: Writing That's Good for Something

Writing for the general public

Post 1

minorvogonpoet

You're right, of course.smiley - smiley

When I joined the UK Civil Service, more years ago than I like to say smiley - senior, some of my bosses thought they were good writers. They wrote long, Latinate sentences with lots of subordinate clauses.smiley - yawn Those might be fine if you're writing for professors, but what if you're writing for the general public?

Writing for the general public is one of the things government needs to do. But the public is a motley crowd, including people whose first language isn't English and some who can hardly read at all. So you have to make it straightforward - short, everyday words and sentences. There's quite an art to that. These days, of course, when you can put all these documents on the web, you can provide more complex, detailed pieces for those who are interested.


Writing for the general public

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Well put. smiley - ok

No reason why short, everyday words can't be well put together. But there's an art to writing it - you're right. smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Writing Right with Dmitri: Writing That's Good for Something

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more