March: Cheap Thrills

2 Conversations

Create March 2015 by FWR

What's the most fun you've ever had for little or no money?

  • Was it the penny candy you bought as a child?
  • Maybe a long walk in a public or wilderness area?
  • What about the fun you make with your mates, just hanging around?
  • Do you just like feeding the seagulls? (We won't alert the haters.)
  • What about trainspotting or airplane watching?
  • Window shopping, anyone?
  • What's the cheapest good meal you've ever had?
  • Back in the 1970s, the German Parliament sponsored an annual 'Open Door Day'. You'd get to tour the Parliament building for free, and they gave out lots of freebies, brochures, buttons, postcards, and the like. But the piece de resistance for most of the locals in Bad Godesberg was the Red Cross van.

    They offered cheap lunch. For one Deutschmark, you got a large bowl of piping hot pea soup with a whole sausage in, and a hard roll. Delicious! For a newly-arrived foreign student, this went down a treat.

    Yes, yes, German pea soup doesn't sound very tasty. But it is! It's the best pea soup in the universe.

    The whole day was a glorious cheap thrill. Who says you get what you pay for?

    What's your take on cheap entertainment? Remember, the usual House Rules apply. Keep it clean!


    Bookmark on your Personal Space


    Entry

    A87849526

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Read a random Edited Entry


    Disclaimer

    h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

    Write an Entry

    "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

    Write an entry
    Read more