The h2g2 Post 05.01.15

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 5th January 2015

What's New?

A pie-throwing device.
You see this inventive device? It allows for rapid-fire, accurate pie-throwing. Now, be honest: haven't you wanted something like this in the last, say, two weeks? Over the holidays, you've surely run into a twit or two, right? Someone who should really be reminded to be less of a pompous spoilsport? 'Nuff said. That's what inventors are for: to meet a public need. Ben Franklin said something like that, and he was an inventor, too. (Lightning rods, stoves, and bifocals.)

When they aren't busy weaponising pastries, humans can be very inventive in other ways. Just how inventive might surprise you. Even our Palaeolithic ancestors came up with original labour-saving devices. In these Post pages, we'll take you all over the map and back in the old Tardis, as we show you some amazing inventions, past and present. Somebody won an Ig Nobel Prize for a teenager-shooing device. Who knew? The Edited Guide did, that's what it's there for. Decoding machines go back how far? Well, check out the Post Quiz. That's what we're there for.

What are we hoping to do here? Stimulate you to new discovery. While you're waiting to make your great invention – the one that's going to put your name on that high-rise building – you can do your due diligence, and us a favour, by writing about inventions of the past, or ideas of your own. Send us your photos, artwork, flights of fancy. Send PR your Entries. There's a world of wonder out there to mine for Stuff!

Our regulars are back with fun. The Prof's got a quiz that will have you scratching your heads. Willem's got an amazing tree, and a very cute bunny. The Aww Factor has been measured as .9 on the Bush Baby Scale.

Be sure to drop by and say hi to Ben. He and R have been practicing their lifesaving, and he's got some impressive people to tell you about.

Awix has been to the Bijou – er, scratch that, it was the Odeon. There, he saw a wonderful sight. It involved some very strange happenings around the Red Sea, and no, NATO weren't called in. Read about it, and you'll probably want to see this cinematic miracle, as I do.

So, get reading, get thinking, get to work! What better way to start the new year?

And have a wonderful week!


Dmitri Gheorgheni

NATURAL WHIMSY
  • Smith's Red Rock Rabbit  by Willem.
  • Cucumber Tree by Willem.


NATURAL INSANITY

PANIC IN THE STREETS

  • It's not aliens, it's a laser pointer.
  • The first saxophone.

JEU D'ESPRIT

TOUJOURS GAI
  • Awesome electricity.
  • The Create-inator.
FEEDBACK, SUBMISSIONS AND DISCUSSION


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87844422

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more