Freebie Film Tip #1: A Trip with Philip K Dick, or, How's the Air Up There, VALIS?

1 Conversation

Freebie Film Tip #1: A Trip with Philip K Dick, or, How's the Air Up There, VALIS?

An Earth-like planet with two moons.

VALIS, if you don't know, stands for 'Vast Active Living Intelligence System'. In his extremely unpopular novel, Radio Free Albemuth, the great science fiction writer told of Nicholas Brady, the record-store employee who was contacted by this amazing, other-worldly but benevolent intelligence. In the novel, Brady becomes a martyr to his beliefs, but not before telling his good friend, science fiction writer Philip K Dick, all about it.

The film of Radio Free Albemuth is out now. The story is as popular as ever. It earned a little over $5000. But it's on Netflix, these days, and on Youtube if you understand Russian or are willing to pay $3.99, and personally, I thoroughly enjoyed this film. Elektra fell asleep, however. PKD sometimes has that effect on her.

What readers of Radio Free Albemuth may not realise, however, is that Dick's strange scifi novel was actually autobiographical. Only he was two characters: Dick the writer and Brady the visionary record-store man. According to Dick, everything in that novel actually happened, except of course for the President's being named Fremont. But hey, poetic licence.

The Penultimate Truth About Philip K Dick, a full-length documentary which is available on Youtube as well as through Open Culture, tells the background story to Radio Free Albemuth. It also gives you a glimpse into PK Dick's life, as seen through the eyes of his wives – well, four of them – and his friends. Two of the friends you may recognise: scifi writers KW Jeter and Tim Powers. They offer quite different takes on the veracity of Dick's claims, by the way. There's also footage of the infamous Metz talk Dick gave. Imagine a science fiction writer telling a roomful of French intellectuals, 'Well, actually, it's all true…'

I found The Penultimate Truth deeply satisfying, but then, I wrote the Guide Entry on the Vesica Piscis, the fish symbol that played such a large role in Dick's alien contact story.

So, for what it's worth, this is my recommendation for today.

A stained glass window showing the Vesica Piscis. Picture courtesy US Library of Congress
2014 Freebie Film Tips Archive

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87842514

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more