Oddity of the Week: Seeking Enlightenment

0 Conversations

April is a good month to seek enlightenment. (Why not April?)

Enlightement

1895 photo of Buddha statue by William Henry Jackson

This magic lantern slide was made in 1895, by artist William Henry Jackson. It isn't a colour photo – it was hand-coloured. It shows a statue of the Buddha in Rangoon. It comes to us courtesy of the Library of Congress.

William Henry Jackson may not be a household name today, but he was a famous painter, photographer and member of the US Geological Survey. He lived from 1843 to 1942. Yes, he lived to be 99. Mr Jackson's grandfather was famous in his day, too, as he invented 'Uncle Sam'. You know the bearded gent in the patriotic top hat who usually wants YOU to join the military. This is not William Henry's fault, so we'll overlook his ancestors.

How much do you know about the Buddha? If you're a Westerner, the answer might be, 'Not much,' unless, of course, you're heavily into Zen, or an ardent fan of Hermann Hesse. Here are a few of the Buddha's sayings, just to enlighten you:

  • 'Most problems, if you give them enough time and space, will eventually wear themselves out.'
  • 'A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness."
    Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire.
    See now you are left with only "Happiness.”'
  • My doctrine is to think the thought that is unthinkable, to practise the deed that is non-doing, to speak the speech that is inexpressible, and to be trained in the discipline that is beyond discipline. Those who understand this are near, those who are confused are far. '
  • 'Look up to heaven and down on earth, and they will remind you of their impermanency. Look about the world, and it will remind you of its impermanency. But when you gain spiritual enlightenment, you shall then find wisdom.'

we hope you found a gem or two in this. After all, we're writing a Guide to Life, the Universe, and Everything.

Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

07.04.14 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87826440

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more