A Conversation for Writing Right with Dmitri: What's Their Motivation?

Special effects

Post 1

minorvogonpoet

I quite agree with you that, in a story, you need to give your protagonist a reason for acting, then litter his, or her, way with obstacles.smiley - ok

But I think, in some films, the special effects outweigh the story. I watched Gravity with my husband the other day and we agreed the film amounted to striking special effects hung on a thin and improbable story. Even when we saw The Hobbit (part 2) I thought the dragon was great, but the filmakers have stretched out a relatively short book.
smiley - erm

,


Special effects

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

That's very true, isn't it? The film industry is in love with their CGI - and so, apparently, are a lot of filmgoers.

What I'm hungry for is story - and I suspect you are, too. If you can reduce the story to a postcard, don't tell it. I haven't seen 'The Hobbit' - and probably won't - but I saw a 'making of' clip, and it was all about the dragon. Big deal. smiley - laugh

It's a sham when complex, interesting stories don't get the attention they deserve. SOmebody bleats about 'boring' and 'lack of production values'.

Go back and watch old episodes of 'Star Trek: The Next Generation'. Shot on sound stages, with limited effects. But the stories are psychologically complex. Or the old 'Twilight Zone' - one beautiful episode featured Agnes Moorehead, no dialogue, and some wind-up toy astronauts. smiley - whistle Let me see if I can find it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n99iNW9595o

Note: This was actually made before NASA took over.

Now compare that to the new movies. smiley - winkeye


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Writing Right with Dmitri: What's Their Motivation?

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more