Oddity of the Week - An Englishman Abroad

1 Conversation

Travel broadens the mind. At least, we think it does…

Rudyard Kipling: An Englishman Abroad in Beaver

Rudyard Kipling.

This is a picture of Rudyard Kipling. He's very recognisable. He was already a bit of a celebrity when he visited Beaver, Pennsylvania, at the age of 24. There was a lady involved. Okay, the lady was married. No, there was no hanky-panky. But Kipling liked Mrs Edmonia Hill, a college professor's wife he'd got to know in India. When the lady – 'Ted' to her friends – had to go home to Beaver to convalesce from a bout of meningitis, Kipling resolved to visit her. So he arrived in western Pennsylvania in 1889. They put him up at Beaver College. Yes, there's a Beaver College.

According to a letter Mrs Hill wrote to some friends, Kipling ' has a living room with open fireplace, a spacious bedroom and bath. There is a couch, where I think he spends most of his time, smoking, reading, and meditating, but not doing much writing. He is absorbing the experiences which are so different in Pennsylvania surroundings from his Lahore days.'

According to local legend, the Beaver teenagers thought Kipling was an insufferable snob, and beat him up. We cannot verify this legend, but pass it along for completeness' sake.

What did Kipling think of Beaver? Well, he wrote about it. He changed the name to 'Musquash', and claimed it was on the Monongahela instead of the Ohio. As for the name Musquash, we suspect sarcasm, and we're willing to bet he just liked writing 'Monongahela', because, frankly, everybody does.

Here's a bit of his prose:

The golden-rod blazed in the pastures against the green of the mulleins, and the cows picked their way home through the twisted paths between the blackberry bushes. All summer was on the orchards, and the apples – such apples as we dream of when we eat the woolly imitations of Kashmir – were ripe and toothsome…

…Also it was impossible to buy openly any liquor in that little paradise. But – and this is a serious but – you could by procuring a medical certificate get strong drinks from the chemist.

We're glad he didn't go thirsty. And that he liked the apples and blackberries. All in all, it probably wasn't a bad visit. It was also probably as much excitement as Beaver, PA, could stand for one year.

Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

24.02.14 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87823588

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more