A Conversation for The Post Quiz: Peace Movements

With apologies but I just can't stop

Post 1

pebblederook-The old guy wearing surfer beads- what does he think he looks like?

1. In 1939, Samuel Lewis said, 'Peace is fundamental to all faiths.' What activity did he use to promote peace?

He took a vow of silence.

2. The guy in the picture is named George, or Cat, or Yusuf. What's the name of his song that tells about 'good things to come'?

'Party Political Broadcast'

3. What do the Quakers call their approach to the subject of conflict?

It's called the 'Find Gary Cooper' plan

4. What did anti-war protestors try to do to the Pentagon in 1967?

They tried to raise it into the air, that was meant to be a joke answer but may well be actually true. We were very weird in the days of ye (© Coelocanth)

5. What organisation took the ruins of Coventry Cathedral as an inspiration for peace?

I want to say the Luftwaffe but that would be such bad taste.

6. What do you call the philosophical position that opposes war on principle?

Common sense.

7. What inventor left his explosives fortune to the cause of peace and human improvement?

I don’t remember but it was very noble of him.

8. What did John Rabe use to protect his neighbours from a massacre?

Self control.

9. What was unusual about Eugene V Debs' 1920 US presidential campaign?

It was the only Presidential election he lost.

10.What military organisation won the 2000 Ig Nobel Peace Prize for ordering its members to stop using live cannon, and just shout 'Bang' instead?

The Royal Navy Athletic Association.


With apologies but I just can't stop

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - snork I love your answers.

However, Eugene V Debs lost several Presidential elections. I think the Socialist candidate ran about four times. smiley - winkeye That isn't a record - there was a man named Harold Stassen who ran 13 times.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Post Quiz: Peace Movements

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more