Our Man in Millways: Applecross Inn

1 Conversation

Man looking a bit unwell<br/>
after eating noodles

Applecross Inn, Wester Ross, Scotland

The further north you travel in Scotland, the wilder and more dramatic the scenery becomes. One of the best ways to experience it is to drive or ride the Bealach nam Bo, a breathtaking series of hairpin bends with spectacular views across the sparkling sea to the Cuillin Hills on the Isle of Skye, the Outer Hebrides beyond, and the other little islands peppered about. It’s the highest mountain pass in the UK, and there’s no better place to stop for refreshments afterwards than at the Applecross Inn, a charming black and white building right on the shoreline.

The white walls of Applecross Inn, and Inka the Newfoundland ready for her walk.

The pub/bistro/restaurant is a lively place, and a huge draw for visitors to this part of the world all year long. There’s a warm welcome from the staff, and I was won over when on ordering a glass of white wine I was asked if I wanted “ordinary, or small”. The drinks list isn’t extensive, but does have a range of malt whiskies, complete with a helpful description to assist customers in making their choice.

The menu relies heavily on local seafood, and is all the better for that. I opted for a seafood linguine, which contained prawns, scallops, and mussels, and was served with a dollop of crème fraiche. The rest of my group tucked into a creamy potato topped fish pie, a juicy burger, and homemade vegetable soup, served with tasty wheaten bread. The menu was written on a large blackboard beside the bustling bar, and those dishes made from local ingredients were identified with an asterisk.

The prices were very reasonable, ranging from £8-16 for the main courses, with smaller dishes and light bites such as sandwiches also available.

We all pronounced our meals delicious, and had to try very hard to resist the tempting desserts, including home-made honey and whisky ice-cream. But Inka, the black Newfie, needed a walk, and we took a pleasant stroll by the water’s edge, before setting off again to complete the other half of the mountain pass.

This is a popular spot, so be prepared to wait at peak times. But there’s plenty of interesting artwork and poems to enjoy while you do. And it’s definitely worth the trip.

This column is open to contributions from all members of the h2g2 community. All submissions are accepted on the basis that they are honest and unbiased, and all opinions expressed are those of the reviewers, who may not be professional restaurant critics. Send your reviews to the usual submissions address.

Our Man in Milliways
Archive

Beatrice

30.09.13 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87811419

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more