A Conversation for Writing Right with Dmitri - Location, Location, Location

Interesting process, writing

Post 1

minorvogonpoet

I've found writing an odd and interesting process. smiley - smiley You start with an idea, a little smiley - candle, do a bit of planning and research, and start writing.

I've drawn on memory and notebooks, books and websites. (I've found Google maps useful, because I've been able to search the area around the town on which I've based my fictional Caillac and find things from restaurants to hospitals.)

But I've found that, as I write, I discover new things I didn't know before - my anti-hero would have a photo of his mother; the restaurant would have a patio garden with tables and a few flowers. And, in the second draft, those things become clearer and more real. So, for me, the second and subsequent drafts are an important part of the creation of a fictional world.
smiley - birosmiley - birosmiley - biro


Interesting process, writing

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Thanks for that insight. smiley - biggrin I think maybe as you write, the scene comes into focus, like with a camera?


Interesting process, writing

Post 3

minorvogonpoet

I don't know much about painting, but I imagine you start with a sketch, fill in the background -sky, trees, or buildings. Then you fill in the details bit by bit and the painting comes alive.
smiley - biggrinsmiley - artist


Interesting process, writing

Post 4

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Good point. smiley - smiley I remember reading about a famous painting - though I don't remember which, or the painter's name.

It seems it was scheduled to go up in an exhibition. The painter was annoyed because it was a seascape, mostly blue, and looked washed out next to the brightly-coloured painting beside it.

When the exhibitors refused to move it, he painted a red detail in the lower foreground.

This changed the painting and made it stand out. smiley - smiley

Today, I'm taking the day off to read Scott Turow's 'Innocent'. It's riveting, and I can't stop.

300 pages into this story, an object which has been in plain sight for the whole story has suddenly leapt into focus and changed the game for everyone concerned.

Now THAT is msatery of your place. smiley - wow


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Writing Right with Dmitri - Location, Location, Location

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more