The View from Eustace's Room

1 Conversation

The View from Eustace's Room

Eustace

For a sickly child, alone for most of the day and night in their room with nothing to do, the imagination becomes their best friend. Although Eustace's imaginary friends use him as a goalpost when they play football. They use his clothes as the other post.

It's that sort of idea that when you read it you would start you to wonder exactly how insane this book is going to be, but you find yourself far more captivated by the extremely exquisite illustrations. Each page is lovingly drawn by what is obviously a talented hand. The expressions of joy and distaste on the characters faces are so involved that you can't help but feel with them. You're very swiftly transported into Eustace's world in 1930s London, reminiscent of Evelyn Waugh's Vile Bodies with a no-holds-barred expose of the time, seen through the naive eight-year-old eyes of the lead character.

From our role as "imaginary strangers" (the imaginary friends are no longer allowed in the house) we see Eustace's life change from bleak solitude to debauched partying. Cocktail hours, poker games, and prostitutes in the wardrobe. All courtesy of Uncle Lucy, on the run from the law and hiding out in his nephew's bedroom, we follow along as Eustace's life gets turned into a nightmare that he can't escape from.

This truly is a work that pulls you in, serves you a martini, and then leaves you wondering what just happened and where have your mental clothes have got to. But more than that, after you've finished reading it, it stays in your head. You can't get the little scenes out. You wake up in the morning hearing Eustace mumble the phrase, "I was always told to stand up when a lady enters the room, no-one told me not to do it naked."

General Features Archive

Pastey

18.03.13 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87788263

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more