The Post Quiz - TV History

0 Conversations

Time to test your television technology history knowledge.

The Post Quiz: TV History

Advertising

You see that box in the corner of your living room? No, not the old computer you forgot to throw away. The one gathering dust, now that you watch all your films online. It's called a television, and once, children, it was the only way to see moving pictures in your house. Since this week is the 78th anniversary of the beginning of TV service in Germany, we thought we'd test you on your knowledge of the history of this technology.

Ready? Answer the questions.

  1. By what name did English scene painter Philip James de Loutherbourg call his 1781 version of television?
  2. What did Peter Mark Roget's Thaumatrope demonstrate?
  3. What did Michael Faraday do in 1830 that was important for television?
  4. What did May and Smith find out in 1873 by experimenting with selenium and light?
  5. What did a Pantelegraph transmit in 1862?
  6. In 2008, Londoners and New Yorkers could celebrate the 125th anniversary of the Brooklyn Bridge together – by communicating via Telectroscope. When was the Telectroscope invented?
  7. What was the first book about television called, and when was it published?
  8. What did KF Braun invent in 1897 that television couldn't have done without?
  9. Who first called it 'television', and in what momentous year?
  10. In what year was the first television set sold?

Think you knew them all? Click on the picture below to find out the answers.

A remote control.
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

18.03.13 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87788119

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more