How good a prognosticator were you?
Failed Predictions: Answers
This just goes to show you: even clever people fail to see the future. Check out your predictions on these failed quotes.
Prediction and Predictor:
- It will be years – not in my time – before a woman will become Prime Minister.
- I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.
- A rocket will never be able to leave the Earth’s atmosphere.
- Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible.
- The Americans have need of the telephone, but we do not. We have plenty of messenger boys.
- Who the hell wants to hear actors talk?
- There is not the slightest indication that nuclear energy will ever be obtainable. It would mean that the atom would have to be shattered at will.
- The bomb will never go off. I speak as an expert in explosives.
- Guitar music is on the way out.
- I see no good reasons why the views given in this volume should shock the religious sensibilities of anyone.
- Margaret Thatcher. (1969.)
- Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM. (1943.)
- New York Times. (1936.)
- Lord Kelvin. (1895.)
- The British Post Office. (1876.)
- HM Warner. (Of Warner Brothers Studios, 1927.)
- Albert Einstein. (1932.)
- Admiral Leahy. (US Atomic Bomb Project.)
- Decca Records. (1962, when they rejected the Beatles.)
- Charles Darwin. (1869, introducing The Origin of
If you were perspicacious, gloat while you nurse your New Year's hangover. And share this quiz with your friends whenever they ask, 'What do you think will be the Next Big Thing?'Post Quiz and Oddities Archive
31.12.12 Front Page
Back Issue Page