A Conversation for 'Zulu' - the Film

Peer Review: A87768210 - 'Zulu' - the Film

Post 1

Bluebottle

Entry: 'Zulu' - the Film - A87768210
Author: Bluebottle - U43530

I recently noticed that I've not written an article beginning with the letters J, Q, X or Z, and so I've decided to address this and start with the letter Z. Now, I've not been to Zimbabwe or Zambia, my knowledge of Zebras is limited to their being stripy horse-like animals with 3 species, and so that leads us to the phonetic alphabet, in which Z is Zulu.

A review about Zulu, a film in which there is no escaping the fact that the plot is predominantly white men killing lots of black men, was always going to be a bit of a challenge to say the least. I accept it could so easily go inadvertently wrong. I've tried to write a balanced review but if there is anything that I have written which could be accidentally misinterpreted, please let me know.

I hope it is clear that this is a film review, not a discussion on the history of imperialism in South Africa. If anyone wishes to write about imperialism, I would be quite intrigued about how they deal with the topic.

<BB<


A87768210 - 'Zulu' - the Film

Post 2

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

You could write a review about the Zonkey? Zoologically challenged.


A87768210 - 'Zulu' - the Film

Post 3

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned



Thank you, BB. I have always loved this film, as my Hubby will grumble about with you at anytime!

The film Zulu was also supposed to launch the acting career of Ivor Emmanuel, but it was Michael Caine who shone through, thus a star was born.

Also, have you ever noticed that between the fighting scenes there are no dead Zulu's? This is because the Zulu cast would not lie dead, as they were too great a nation to 'pretend' to die. So when the fighting resumed all the dead had disappeared.


lil xx


A87768210 - 'Zulu' - the Film

Post 4

Bluebottle

Thanks for that fact - I hope you don't mind, but I've included it in a new 'Making of' section. smiley - smiley

I didn't think about Zonkeys or zorses, perhaps someone else wanting to write about something beginning with Z can do those ones. Now got to think of something to write beginning with Q or X. Most of the interesting Queens have been done, as has Quentin Tarrantino and QI, and I've never been to Quebec, Queensland or Qatar. As for X, I've no idea - and having already written six Superman articles already this year, the last thing I want to do is write about 5 X-Men films. Perhaps I could find 'X - The Unknown' on DVD somewhere cheap...

<BB<


A87768210 - 'Zulu' - the Film

Post 5

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned


You are most welcome smiley - smiley

lil x


A87768210 - 'Zulu' - the Film

Post 6

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

Good entry >BB
When I was reading your entry on British War Films I thought Zulu deserved its own entry as it is one of my favourites.

One point that might be worth adding is the exchange between Chard and Bromhead over who is to be in command. As both men hold the same rank it becomes a matter of seniority. As I recall, Chard, the Lieutenant of Engineers, has only a few months more service than Bromhead, who was in command of the infantry. Bromhead resigns himself to the position of second in command with a remark about "the luck of amateurs." -- In the US Army the highest rated graduates of the Academy are assigned as engineers, I assume the British army follows the same order? I have always thought Bromhead's remark to be a reflection of the position of an aristocrat against that of a mere craftsman. I would be interested in a British opinion.

One minor correction

>When the fighting resumes, all the 'dead' extras disappear

Might be better as;

When the fighting resumes, all the 'dead' extras have disappeared

smiley - cheers
Fsmiley - dolphinS


A87768210 - 'Zulu' - the Film

Post 7

Bluebottle

Thanks for the suggestion - looks like I've got some research to do. I don't know much about the Victorian army officer specialism selection, all I do know is that Engineer officers graduated from the School of Military Engineering in Chatham, Kent, artillerymen (including Coastal Defence) from the Royal Artillery School at Woolwhich.

Other officers graduated from the Royal Military Academy at Sandhurst, Berkshire.

I've changed the other thing but will have to think about what more to write about the Engineer/regular officer divide.

<BB<


A87768210 - 'Zulu' - the Film

Post 8

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

>Engineer officers graduated from the School of Military Engineering in Chatham, Kent, >artillerymen (including Coastal Defence) from the Royal Artillery School at Woolwhich.

>Other officers graduated from the Royal Military Academy at Sandhurst, Berkshire.


Interesting, I had heard of Sandhurst and thought it was the British equivalent of West Point, although there are other paths for those with a civilian education. Thought you might find this interesting.

http://www.goarmy.com/careers-and-jobs/become-an-officer.html

There are other Academies for Navy/Marine Corps, Coast Guard, Merchant Marine and Air Force.

Sorry to give you more work.

Fsmiley - dolphinS


A87768210 - 'Zulu' - the Film

Post 9

Bluebottle

That was quite an interesting read, thankssmiley - ok

I've added a little bit more to the article about the exchange between Bromhead and Chard, but decided not to go into too much detail about it as when I tried before it bogged down the film review in too much historic detail. As always, it's trying to find the right balance...

<BB<


A87768210 - 'Zulu' - the Film

Post 10

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

Looks good, I like it!
smiley - cheers
Fsmiley - dolphinS


A87768210 - 'Zulu' - the Film

Post 11

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned


I love it.

I will give it a proper read through in the morning, with fresher eyes smiley - bigeyes


lil x


A87768210 - 'Zulu' - the Film

Post 12

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned


Hi BB,

Do you feel this is ready? smiley - smiley


lil x


A87768210 - 'Zulu' - the Film

Post 13

Bluebottle

I'm happy with it, if everyone else is?

<BB<


A87768210 - 'Zulu' - the Film

Post 14

AgProv2

What interests me is how TV versions of the film have changed with the years. "Censorship" of this movie is not what you would think. For instance, versions shown in the 1970's and as late as the 1990's could go out at any hour of day or night on British tv. But without exception, they hall had the extended Zulu mass marriage scene at the start, involving long lines of unavoidably jiggly Zulu maidens performing an energetic wedding dance. The fact the girls are all topless is a courtesy detail: as the "tvtropes" site puts it, this is "National Geographic Nudity", which is perfectly permisible as long as the ladies are not White European.

Yet attitudes seemed to shift after 2000. Versions of the film shown afte about this time have the topless Zulu dancers removed almost completely - they are only seen when a long shot becomes unavoidable. A later scene showing Britsh soldiers ogling a couple of passing native girls is also excised. Yet all the blood, guts and violence of the fight scenes and the glorious victory of the British redcoats over the natives is left as is.

This move to greater prudishness and the censoring of on-screen female nudity is so opposite to the general trend of the last thirty years that you have to ask yourself what's going on here...

Also, there is an apochryphal story that after the film was screened by Ulster Television, a Welsh regiment tasked with policing a demo in Northern Ireland met the inevitable barrage of jeers, bricks and petrol bombs by closing ranks and singing "Men of Harlech" at a group of demonstrators who outnumbered them four or five to one... the rioting Irish soon cottoned on to this being a very Welsh joke at their expense, but by then the Toms were beating their riot batons on their riot shields to the beat of the song. History is silent as to whether the riot guns were organised to fire volleys.. "Front rank reload! Rear rank fire! Rear rank advance! Rear rank reload!" et c


A87768210 - 'Zulu' - the Film

Post 15

AgProv2

"Zulu" is entrenched deep in the Welsh consciousness, even though in reality very few Welsh soldiers fought there - this is the power of the film. As well as the Northern Ireland riot-control example quoted above, you may be interested in professional Welshman Max Boyce, who tells a long shaggy-dog story about an ancestor at Isandhlwana (although he has also set the joke at Rorke's Drift).

Only five Welshmen are still standing. In desperation, Gwylim starts singing "A'r Hyd a'r Nos". He is felled by a knobkerry.

Owen looks at the lads, parries an assegai, and sings the opening bars of "Milgi Mawr". He is shot down.

Then Meic begins a solo of "Men of Harlech" and is skerwed on a spear.

At this point, Max Boyce's great-great grandfather turns to his mucker Dafydd, and begs him

"For God's sake, sing them one they know!"


A87768210 - 'Zulu' - the Film

Post 16

Bluebottle

Thanks for the suggestions. Quite an interesting comment on how the film's been shown and what is and isn't acceptable to censors these days. I don't think you'd be able to make a film with a scene like Miss Witt being attacked by those in hospital these days, and quite rightly we don't want to encourage violence towards women.

I've not added the story about the riot control, as you've said it is apocraphal, but have mentioned that there is a Max Boyce joke (but didn't want to give away the punchline). It's a good one, though!smiley - rofl

<BB<


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 17

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Key: Complain about this post