A Conversation for Writing Right with Dmitri: What are Editors Good for?

Thanks

Post 1

Gnomon - time to move on

Thanks, Dmitri. It's nice to have someone appreciate that there's more to the job than just proofreading.


Thanks

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - cheers


Thanks

Post 3

aka Bel - A87832164

Good editors seem to be lacking nowadays. I think I mentioned it in one of my articles. I often wonder: why did the editor not tell the author this or that, and it has happened frequently with contemporary literature - so I guess they don't have editors. They may be a dying breed.


Thanks

Post 4

Gnomon - time to move on

I know that the first three Harry Potter books were well edited and the fourth one was awful with lots of extraneous material which should really have been cut out. The story is that Rowling was now famous enough that she could do whatever she liked and ignored her editor.


Thanks

Post 5

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - eureka That's why I stopped reading after the fourth book. You know, I think you're right there, Gnomon.


Thanks

Post 6

aka Bel - A87832164

Oh, I never thought of that, Gnomon. That just might explain why the most recent books I listened to were so awful stylistically. The author is very popular here. Maybe he ignores his editor, too.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Writing Right with Dmitri: What are Editors Good for?

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more