A Conversation for Musical Notes: BBC Young Musician 2012 - Keyboard

Thank you

Post 1

aka Bel - A87832164

I'm really glad that you're taking the time to share this fascinating competition with us. smiley - smooch


Thank you

Post 2

h5ringer

Hope you enjoy it Bel; just a shame you can't watch it on iPlayer.


Thank you

Post 3

aka Bel - A87832164

Yes, it's a pity, but your description is so vivid that it's nearly as good as watching/listening myself. It's probably even better, cause you know what you're talking about and your comments bring it close to everybody reading it. smiley - magic


Thank you

Post 4

Vip

Another thank you here - your summaries are fab. smiley - cheers

smiley - fairy


Thank you

Post 5

You can call me TC

I remember visiting my mother just in time for the final, two years ago. The Turkish girl was amazing, and the standard of all was unbelievably high. My mother had followed all the televised heats and had enthused on the phone about the concerts.

Despite the fact that this year all five finalists were boys, are you finding in the UK that the music world is more open to equality? These kids are already having to work harder than adults to prove themselves, and young female contestants maybe even doubly so.

Having said that, I'm trying to resist my urge even now to find a website where I can have a look at these nubile young lads *says she, lowering the tone of the conversation*


Thank you

Post 6

Vip

I'd say it's almost easier to be a girl, as there's a lot of peer pressure to give up when you are a teenager and that falls harder on boys than girls, for whom it's a more accepted hobby. I have no idea how it goes on the professional circuit though.

smiley - fairy


Thank you

Post 7

h5ringer

smiley - winkeye TC, if your will breaks, you may be able to access this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00bb3wt/features/2012-category-finalists

I'm not a professional musician, but judging from what I see on concert platforms, I would judge it about as about as level a playing field as it gets. I do know that at least one pro orchestra auditions its potential new players in such a way that they cannot be seen, hence age and gender are not factors in selection.


Thank you

Post 8

You can call me TC

Yes - I had heard about this. Unfortunately, for most job interviews, you have to speak as well.

My mother's other favourite programme is the New Year's concert which she always records and makes everyone watch. I watch it because it's nice spending time with her like that, even though I really don't care very much for Strauss. There is never a single woman in the orchestra (let alone any soloists).


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Musical Notes: BBC Young Musician 2012 - Keyboard

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more