A Conversation for Hanukkah: Meaning and Traditions

Notes from the co-author

Post 21

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Thanks, Robbie. smiley - smiley Some of this info is going to show up in Parts 2 and 3, too. smiley - winkeye

I think some of our most informative convos start at the bottom of entries in the EG and smiley - thepost.

Check out this one by Willem, which started because I was ranting about world politics: F22114266?thread=8281940

If you've ever wanted a crash course in the history of South Africa, h2g2ers, here's a place to start.


Notes from the co-author

Post 22

Lady Pennywhistle - Back with a vengeance! [for a certain, limited value of Vengeance; actual amounts of Vengeance may vary]

Yes, thanks, Robbie! smiley - blush I feel quite honoured.
And I do enjoy a lot of the conversations here. They can go from enllightening to insane in the blink of a post. smiley - biggrin


Dmitri, regarding your teacher, that's a very good question that I don't really have an answer for. I can think of a few options:
Perhaps the specific brand of Orthodox Judaism she followed had stopped this custom, and she just didn't count any of the others that hadn't.
Or perhaps it has been stopped in places like Brooklyn - like for hygene reasons, or because of animal cruelty (oh, I did forget to mention the part where they swing the chicken over the recipient's head in circles, didn't I? smiley - bleeping cruel) but has been preserved in Israel.
Or perhaps it even has completely stopped for a while, around the time you were learning about it from her, but has returned as part of the backlash agaist modernity. Did you know that within the ultra-orthodox community, there is a pretty strong anti-wig movement? They're not modest enough, apparently, because they're cheating by looking like actual hair. And I'm not even talking about sub-sects like the 'shawl women', that are even considered crazy by many mainstream rabbis.

But without more background, which I am loath to dig up because I am kinda lazy like that, I don't know if any of these options is the right one, or if I'm even close.
All I can tell you is that in oresent-day Israel, it definitely happens. You can see it advertised in the orthodox neighbourhoods every year around Yom Kippur, and sometimes you can even see the temporary stands they set up to perform it.


Notes from the co-author

Post 23

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Gracious. You're probably right, Lady P. Sometimes you think something like that - chicken sacrifices, or religious snake-handling (yes, it happens)- has gone away. And then it comes back.

I hadn't heard of anti-wig movements, either.


Notes from the co-author

Post 24

Lady Pennywhistle - Back with a vengeance! [for a certain, limited value of Vengeance; actual amounts of Vengeance may vary]

Ugh. I'm not going to go into that, because I'm kinda short on time and generally don't feel like ranting at the moment, but it's another backlash thing. Society - even ultra-orthodox society - is growing more liberal, so the extremists find ways to surround themselves with bigger walls. The issue of (perceived) 'modesty' tends to be a popular one, from male-female segregation, to clothing, to wigs. You can look it up.


Notes from the co-author

Post 25

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

I will. I've got a Hebrew film about the ultra-orthodox in Israel, lined up in my Netflix queue.

It's just a world trend. When I was a kid, evangelical Christianity was mostly tolerant and open to various viewpoints. I've met lots of Muslims who grew up that way, too.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Hanukkah: Meaning and Traditions

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more