A Conversation for Association of Researcher Skeptics

Maybe

Post 1

NAITA (Join ViTAL - A1014625)

I was thinking that perhaps it would be a good idea if each member supplied a short description of his or her skeptical view of the world.
Personally I'm a rabid skeptic who disbelieves everything, so my opinions alone would probably scare off more, for lack of a better phrase, open minded skeptics.
Anyone want to contribute their viewpoint?


Maybe

Post 2

Woodpigeon

You lookin' at me? smiley - smiley

I have an enormous disdain for the anthropocentric viewpoint, which is core to the teachings of most major religions and indeed, is central to beliefs in UFO's, ghosts and other paranormal phenomena. Essentially, anthropocentrism implies that we humans, or humanoids, are particularly special in the overall order of things. The evidence against this view is so incredibly strong, but nevertheless, because we are the only humanoid beings on this planet (ignoring our ape cousins for a minute), and we don't really have comparable competition, we have deluded ourselves into thinking that human existence is at the pinnacle, or near the pinnacle, of all nature. Thus: the humanoid alien forms in almost all science fiction and Ufology, the suspiciously-like-modern-day shapes of UFO technology, creation science, etc. etc.

I also find that the suggestion of a separation between body and soul, so beloved of my schoolteachers and the clergy, is a bit fanciful. If we were to build a robot that was sentient, was able to think for itself, and converse with us, (not beyond the bounds of probability some time in the future by the way) what would happen if we pressed its OFF button? Would it's soul go to heaven?

I am also very sceptical of conspiracy theories, which is a favourite comfort zone for the credulous and the fraudsters when attacked by sceptics. The conspiracy theory is such a problematic, complex construct (which feeds on itself by the way) and yet, rather than admit that their theories have come to a dead-end, the old conspiracy theory chestnut becomes their last refuge. One thing I bet you can prove - by and large us humans are *incompetent*, *unreliable* and *too obsessed with our own problems*, belying the chance of a conspiracy theory really working over any significant time period.

I love James Randi's assertion that he will pay any psychic 1m dollars if their psychic powers can be proven scientifically. So far that money is quite safe in the bank. Good for him. A visit to his website every so often is quite refreshing.

smiley - peacedoveWoodpigeon


Maybe

Post 3

NAITA (Join ViTAL - A1014625)

Well, I was thinking shorter. smiley - winkeye If you make an entry of it I'll link to it. I could do it myself, but since you wrote it all...
smiley - smiley


Maybe

Post 4

Sneijder

We're just all clever monkeys aren't we ?

For some reason people have to believe there is something bigger than all this, for example God, or some super alien race.

With modern media I feel it's all too easy to get the genral public to believe anything.

I used to believe in the mad theories and ideas that float around, but now I'm convinced this is it, and thats the way it'll stay until we self destruct.

SNIDEsmiley - whistle


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more