A Conversation for Swiv's Idea of University

Oh dear...

Post 1

Awix

...I always thought Sallust was the name of the planet Lando Calrissian's co-pilot came from in Return of the Jedi. Another illusion shattered...


Oh dear...

Post 2

Catwoman

<?>
It could be both...


Oh dear...

Post 3

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

I'm sorry - but hey - at least we know George Lucas has classical influences!


Oh dear...

Post 4

Catwoman

Yes, you just go on believeing that...


Oh dear...

Post 5

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

well, I have to believe something...
I can't believe he read LOTR after all...


Oh dear...

Post 6

Awix

I always thought GL's influences were Joe Campbell and Flash Gordon. Lord of the Rings deriving from the same Campbellian myth-structures as Star Wars, of course (also Babylon 5, Harry Potter, David Eddings' books).


Oh dear...

Post 7

Catwoman

etc etc etc.
There are only a few stories in existence, the idea is to chop them up and mix them around a bit and hope no-one notices.


Oh dear...

Post 8

Awix

The last time I checked there were 37.

Although the John Major/Edwina Currie thing may mean there are now 38. On the other hand it may just prove that real life is stranger than fiction.


Oh dear...

Post 9

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

I dunno - that's just a boy meets girl, boy ditches girl, girl gets revenge story - just between characters are rather less pre-posessing than normal.


Oh dear...

Post 10

Awix

Hmmm. Or possibly 'beauty and the beast'... although then again neither of them is particularly well-suited to either role.


Oh dear...

Post 11

Catwoman

'boring and the beast'?

It's not a new story, just a surprising rendition of it.
Which is part of the trickery they use to make us believe there are more stories than there are.


Oh dear...

Post 12

Awix

'There are only seven of them, they just switch them around a bit.'

I'm paraphrasing George Orwell (very badly), who was supposedly criticising totalitarianism rather than commenting on the narrative process. But still...


Oh dear...

Post 13

Catwoman

I'm reading 'Barve New World', because whenever I mention I've read 1984, they always ask, and I have to say no.
Also trying to decide how much is because I feel I should read it, and how much is so I can say I have.


Oh dear...

Post 14

Catwoman

Poo.
Ignore my typos, there are many of them.


Oh dear...

Post 15

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

smiley - smiley

I never got round to that one - and I really liked 1984. I have a host of "dystopia" novels that I bought to read when I had to study The Handmaid's Tale - but Brave New World I never got round to.


Oh dear...

Post 16

Catwoman

It's quite interesting. Some of it doesn't seem to be going anywhere much at the moment though.


Oh dear...

Post 17

Awix

Haven't actually read Brave New World, but I have seen Demolition Man, which was sort of loosely based on it. And that was pretty good.


Oh dear...

Post 18

Catwoman

Demolition Man was annoyingly good (considering who's in it, I wanted to say it was crap) I rather enjoyed it.

That's very loosely based, though. And the ending is different. And the sex thing is absolutely opposite.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Swiv's Idea of University

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more