informative, intelligent, witty, and imaginative

1 Conversation


"With your help, h2g2 will grow into a vast bank

of knowledge, at times informative, intelligent,

witty, and imaginative - in equal measure."
- The Powers That Be


According to A Message From The Editors this is what they are hoping h2g2.com will be, or is, or rather what it wants to be. Perhaps all the above.


As a self-styled critic of the Powers That Be and an observer of the growth of h2g2.com, I find it somehow important to highlight this point. I have a theory that if one looks at every intended article they have written with these four words in mind, it may improve their chances of actually getting their work accepted if they use these four words as a checklist.

Is your entry informative? Does it speak about some topic you are somewhat of an authority on? Did you actually do any research (even rudimentary searches on the 'Net) prior to your hammering the piece out? If someone actually wanted to know what this topic is, would they do well to come to your page as a reference?

Is your submission intelligent? Are there obvious gaps in the knowledge of this topic? Does it cover the material well and is it well presented? Are there any spelling errors or grammatical problems which should be addressed? Does it read as if it came from someone with half a brain?

Is your submission witty? Though the Powers That Be have asked us not to try and write just like Douglas Adams, when anyone comes to a website that names itself after the Hitch Hiker's Guide, they're probably going to expect to be entertained. Along with being well written and enlightening, does your work induce laughter in yourself AND others? Are there too many 'injokes' that only DNA fans or close personal friends of yours going to get? Is the humor relatively acceptable to a wide audience, or is there too much sarcasm? Is it too blue or risque? Granted, not everyone can be funny, and the Powers That Be know this. Still, if two people write on the same topic, someone who finds the humor in a subject will have an edge over someone who doesn't.

Is your piece imaginative? Does it come from a rather unique angle? If you're talking about ketchup, perhaps you might describe the condiment from the perspective of a hamburger. That's a bit of an extreme example, but you get an idea what I mean. Try approaching the subject matter from a creative viewpoint, bring the best and worst of yourself into the piece. Make it wholly and uniquely your own.


Can you say yes to all of the above questions?


If not, don't be downhearted. I can't either.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Title
Latest Post

Entry

A84322

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more